Join now - be part of our community!

Netflix casting problem Bravia KDL42W829

DEllson
Explorer

Netflix casting problem Bravia KDL42W829

Hi,

I'm wondeing if anyone can help. I have a Bravia KDL42W829 TV which has the issue (I've seen the same mentioned here) of the Netflix app crashing.

My solution to this was if I had Netflix running on my iOS devices I could cast to the TV without the Netflix app crashing. This worked fine until recently.

The Netflix iOS app detects the Sony TV and if I select it the source switches to the Netflix app on the TV (the user had/has to be selected).  Since redently though the casting never begins (I get connecting to Bravia in the iOS app until a timeout)

I've tried refreshing network content and factory resets. I can cast from iOS to the Youtube app no problem. I have the same issue on multiple iOS devices. I can cast from Netflix to the Sony Bluray player (in another room) with no issue. 

My iOS devices are on latest versions. My TV is connected via Ethernet (I've also tried wireless)

Netflix were very useful and went through many help steps before suggesting contacting Sony (Who have been ****** useless!)

Does anyone have a suggestingt to solve this issue or can anyone with a similar setip test this to put my mind at rest tjhat it's nopt something I can fix.

Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
Pete_B

Hi DEllson

Thanks for your message and welcome to the Community.

Someone will look into this and get back to you as soon as they can.

Regards,

Pete_B

poop3r
Explorer

I already posted to few older threads but I'll post it to here also - try setting tv first to HDMI1 input and then start Netflix.

We used to have the same issue until recently when I was once again trying to get it to work and suddenly our 7 year old took the remote and said that it works if you first set it to HDMI1... and it did...

And then I realized the problem started after we removed our AppleTV from HDMI1 that was what we usually watched in addition to Netflix.

profile.country.GB.title
be11aml

I too have all these problems, app will crash when trying to play something and casting from another device has also stopped working. I have a 46W905a. 

Unfortunately, the advice to try opening netflix starting from HDMI 1 does not seem to help.

I guess that this TV is no longer supported and that it will not really be smart much longer.

It would be nice if Sony would as least state this, so we can all move on.

profile.country.GB.title
cass_n
Community Team

Hi @DEllson,

I have escalated this for you, so someone from the Support team will be in touch soon.

Cheers,

Cass

profile.country.GB.title
ggkikas
Explorer

I have exactly the same problem with topic starter. I have a sony kdl50w815.

youtube casting is ok but I can't cast netflix. Is there any solution for this?

Many Thanks!!

profile.country.GB.title
abroone
Explorer

(not sure about your sepcific model) BUT:

I found that MANUALLY (re) entering the DATE and TIME on the TV set up, resolves the issue (some of the time) 'security certificates are out of date' ?

hope that helps...

profile.country.GB.title
ggkikas
Explorer

Thank you for your reply!

Unfortunately it doesn't help. Netflix is opening and stucks in the profile selection.

my bravia model is KDL-50W815B and has the latest update

the iphone device trying to cast from has ios 11.2.1 (latest)

the netflix app from apple store is version 9.49.2 (latest)

profile.country.GB.title
abroone
Explorer

Netflix is no longer usable on this set, NOR YouTube (via the handset buttons).

note: when cahnging channel and pausing a Replay, there is horrendous loud Buzz through the speakers now.

NB; have double checked with the (replaced) older Sony TV, and another Panasonic TV; these symptoms are only unique to this set.

Extremely disappointed.