Join now - be part of our community!

Tiny X in centre of Sony Bravia X75WL TV

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Mania7
Explorer

Tiny X in centre of Sony Bravia X75WL TV

Hello

My mum is saying she has a tiny X (only a couple of mm in size) in the centre of her screen on all channels.

Does anyone know what this could be, please? She has admitted she's been pressing the buttons to change the audio controls? 

Unfortunately, she's more than an hour drive away and I don't want to resort to a factory reset if it means she'll be signed out of all her accounts, as she is in her 80s and relies on her tv. It will be a couple of weeks before I see her again. We've tried the soft reset, it disappeared briefly (for seconds) but came back.

Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
daveyh64
Enthusiast

I can only think that your mother has switched the Picture Mode on the TV to Game.

To change the Picture Mode you mother will need to press the Settings button (spanner symbol) on the remote control.

When the Quick Settings pop up on screen scroll to the right to Picture Mode.

If it is set to Game then that will be highlighted.

To change the Mode to another use the up and down arrows on the navigation wheel (the larger round button/ wheel with the OK/ accept button in the middle) on the remote control. If your mother clicks up she should be able to select Vivid, Standard or Cinema, these are the most useful for everyday viewing, I would pick Standard. Switching to any of the other Picture Modes will get rid of the crosshair on screen, Game is the only one that shows the Crosshair.

Another method to get rid of the crosshair (if the TV is on Picture Mode - Game) is to press the Menu button on the remote control this should reveal on screen some settings for Game mode. On the TV scrolling to the right should be a setting called Crosshair. If the crosshair is set to On you can change it to Off by clicking the OK button in the middle of the navigation wheel.

If the TV is set to Game mode then it is easier to just change the Picture Mode to Standard as described earlier.

I do not have the exact same Sony TV as your mother, I have a different model which is one year older,

I am hoping the instructions for both TVs are broadly similar and can be communicated clearly over the

phone and help in solving the problem.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
daveyh64
Enthusiast

I can only think that your mother has switched the Picture Mode on the TV to Game.

To change the Picture Mode you mother will need to press the Settings button (spanner symbol) on the remote control.

When the Quick Settings pop up on screen scroll to the right to Picture Mode.

If it is set to Game then that will be highlighted.

To change the Mode to another use the up and down arrows on the navigation wheel (the larger round button/ wheel with the OK/ accept button in the middle) on the remote control. If your mother clicks up she should be able to select Vivid, Standard or Cinema, these are the most useful for everyday viewing, I would pick Standard. Switching to any of the other Picture Modes will get rid of the crosshair on screen, Game is the only one that shows the Crosshair.

Another method to get rid of the crosshair (if the TV is on Picture Mode - Game) is to press the Menu button on the remote control this should reveal on screen some settings for Game mode. On the TV scrolling to the right should be a setting called Crosshair. If the crosshair is set to On you can change it to Off by clicking the OK button in the middle of the navigation wheel.

If the TV is set to Game mode then it is easier to just change the Picture Mode to Standard as described earlier.

I do not have the exact same Sony TV as your mother, I have a different model which is one year older,

I am hoping the instructions for both TVs are broadly similar and can be communicated clearly over the

phone and help in solving the problem.

profile.country.GB.title
Mania7
Explorer

Hi daveyh64

Thank you so much, that us exactly what Mum had done and it wasn't too difficult to explain it to her over the phone.

Thanks again, you're a star - I've told her to stop pressing buttons 😀 

profile.country.GB.title
daveyh64
Enthusiast

Good news, glad it was nice and easy to resolve.