Join now - be part of our community!

Sony xfr-ax33 Memory card

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
JTR_Rhyl

Sony xfr-ax33 Memory card

Any ideas what the max is for the ax33, want to go out for the long weekend, video will do about 8 if not more hours videoing, want to get card/cards that will do me for the weekend.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
JTR_Rhyl

Up date on on the SD card with my sony's HDR-PJ10.

I wondered if the SD 128 card would work on this handycam.

Got a right shock it did, plus the length of video you get out of it.   HD - FX 25.11 minutes and

in HD - HQ 59.46minutes.  Me think Its going to have to have mains in it for that many hours.

Think ax33 for the visits, but on day trips in the countryside going to have the hdr-pj10, some times take it on night shootes (air rifle) put it in a tree, see what wildlive is around, while I shoot the steel targets.

Lastley bet I end up with buying another SD 128 card, poor pocket.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hi @JTR_Rhyl,

if you are talking about the Sony FDR-AX33 camcorder, it should take 256GB of SDXC memory. Make sure to format the card in the exFAT format for continous clips (FAT32 will divide the clips in 4GB snippets).

Also make sure the card is rated at V30 speed, so you don't run into problems when recording 4K.

I can highly recommend this 128GB card from SanDisk, since it has the best price to performance ratio in my opinion: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01J5RH06K

More than that might work too, yet most I have ever used in any Sony camcorder is 256GB.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
JTR_Rhyl

I have ordered a 256 gig card,thinking about it will do as a spare backup drive, that is if it does not work.   But glad there is a big chance it will work, all my other cards ar 32gig, so though I would go the hole hog with the biggest I can afford.

Thanks for the reply so quick.

Pete

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

JTR_Rhyl schrieb:

all my other cards ar 32gig,

Then they are all SDHC cards, which split the video files after they reach 4GB size.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
JTR_Rhyl

No idea, just bought them put them in and they worked.

Only trouble I have had is one handy cam kept giving me E3 error code, could not find a way to stop it, but it was mini sd card could not be exepted,so sold it half price bougt the AX33.

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hi @JTR_Rhyl,

SDHC cards work as well, yet with the disatvantage, that they split the files, since they only allow FAT32 formatting.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
JTR_Rhyl

Went for EX Pro card sdxc, sould do it.     Enjoy using camcorders, although you miss out on the day, but the videos make my day years later.

Bought my first Camcorder 1989 it took full size vhs tapes on the shoulder type., but never realy got into editing proper till a few years ago when the kids left home. 

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Since I am (presumably) way younger than you are, my first camcorder (or rather the first camcorder my dad let me use) had miniDV casettes already.

The first Camcorder I got myself was a red HDR CX130E. Still works flawlessly.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
JTR_Rhyl

Thanks every one, got my SD card last night, pit it on HD XAVC S i GET 10.45 hours, on 4K I get 5 hours, but for the weekend think 10.45 hours and the 3 32 gig ones I have will do me nice, have 8 hours of battery life with the batterys and can charge them again.    So a good weekend comming up,  just hope I live though the grandkids mayham.

profile.country.GB.title
JTR_Rhyl

Up date on on the SD card with my sony's HDR-PJ10.

I wondered if the SD 128 card would work on this handycam.

Got a right shock it did, plus the length of video you get out of it.   HD - FX 25.11 minutes and

in HD - HQ 59.46minutes.  Me think Its going to have to have mains in it for that many hours.

Think ax33 for the visits, but on day trips in the countryside going to have the hdr-pj10, some times take it on night shootes (air rifle) put it in a tree, see what wildlive is around, while I shoot the steel targets.

Lastley bet I end up with buying another SD 128 card, poor pocket.