Join now - be part of our community!

USB recordings are jerky when played back.

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

USB recordings are jerky when played back.

I've added a comment to the FAQ's on USB recording as someone over there has mentioned this problem, but I feel that this warrants a thread of its own.

Having got to grips with how to record onto a USB drive I am finding that the replayed images are very slightly and subtley jerky. What might be a smooth zoom in and out, or a pan left to right on the original broadcast is replayed as if there is a random dropped frame every few 10's of milliseconds. It is subtle but hugely annoying and renders the USB record feature useless imo. The problem is identical on recording both HD and SD broadcasts.

There has been another identical report of this on a different model over in the FAQs section with no outcome or resolution. None of the TV settings appear to satisfactorily correct this problem.    

83 REPLIES 83
profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

Another reply from Sony yesterday bringing us back to 'what drives are you using ?'

HOWEVER, a major breakthough. On my TV I appear to be able to correct the issue.

Firstly, the HDD type doesn't seem to matter in my experiments and I am using a SANDISK 'Ultra Flair 64Gb Flash Drive', which is great because its tiny and has minimal power consumption.

I have found that altering the 'Film Mode' settings in the advanced menu to 'High' fixes the issue. I have tried this on a wide variety of program material including the News24 ticker tape.

1/ Record News24

2/ While still recording go and play back the material (so a severe test because the drive is being written and read from at the same time)

3/ Goto 'Action Menu' and select 'Picture'.

4/ Goto the advanced picture setting menus and select 'Motion'.

5/ Change 'Film Mode' to 'High' while leaving the 'Motionflow' setting as standard.

6/ Press back and observe the ticker tape. After three or four seconds the jerkiness suddenly disappears.

I found that all the settings for 'Film Mode' seem to have zero effect on real time off air TV. Only the 'High' setting seems to fix the USB playback issue.

Also, setting this way you can retain  'Film Mode' as being 'off' for HDMI input. 

Hope this works for anyone having this issue :slight_smile:    

profile.country.GB.title
Garymjh

That's excellent that you found a solution. I can't do that however as my
film mode is either off or auto. I hope it works for others though.
profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

Thanks, although I'm really sorry that you don't seem to have that option. I seem to remember seeing an Auto setting and then there are three more, low, medium and high. Only high works. 

I think my finding does seem to show that it should be a correctable issue though and that it isn't a hardware fault.

It might be worth those that haven't this Film Mode option badgering Sony support and asking what can be done. 

profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

I'm going to mark this particular one as solved and also remove the Dropbox files.. Doing as outlined a couple of posts above this has fully corrected the issue on the KD43XD8305

I would urge anyone having this issue on other models to contact Sony and refer them to this thread and the fix for this model.

Good luck :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
Garymjh

I don't think it is fixed. Many Sony tv's don't have the option to have
film mode set to high. It's only a fix for some Sony tv's.
profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

Hi Gary,

Yes I realise that, and that is why I specifically say that those still having the issue should continue to actively pursue this with Sony.

For me (as thread starter) the issue is resolved and so it only seems fair to report that, but.I do fully understand that others are still having the problem on different models.

What has worked for me could well be a clue as to what is needed and where the problem lies... that is something only Sony can do. One thing all this has shown is that (again for my model) the drive makes no difference, the problem was elsewhere.

I'm not sure how much Quinnicus could help with this as he seems to have direct ties back to Sony. Perhaps all this could be passed to someone who would take notice.

Hopefully enough evidence is in this thread for Sony to come up with a solution. Whatever signal processing is employed in the 'High Film Mode Setting' seems to be needed to be made available to the other models.  

profile.country.GB.title
Garymjh

Yes all true. It would also be interesting to hear if Quinnicus has also
had the issue resolved by changing film mode to high.
profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

It would indeed. Where are you @Anonymous :slight_smile:

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mooly01

Im here :grin:

Been :thermometer_face: with a :snowflake: so taken :clock: off

Will check tonight and post back

profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

Hope you are soon feeling better. There's a lot of it around I think.

It would be very interesting to know if yours responds in the same way.