Join now - be part of our community!

USB HDD recording problems

brian.tjensen
Explorer

USB HDD recording problems

Hi,

I have just recently bought a 55XD8005 TV, and I am not able to get the USB HDD recording to work properly. 

The TV is updated with the newest firmware and Androide version.

I have tried with a WD 2.5" 1TB external HDD, but the TV can not recognise the HDD when it is connected to the USB HDD port on the TV. When connect the HDD to one of the other USB ports the TV has no problem of recognising the HDD, and it is able to play photos and videos from the HDD. Only when it is connceted to the USB HDD port (USB port 3), it can not be recognised.

Then I have also tried with a 128GB USB flash stick, and at first the TV was able to recognise it, and the recording was also working fine. But then I disconnected the USB stick to test the HDD again. Then when I connected the USB stick back again, the TV could not recognise it, and thereby not able to record or see the content I have recorded before.

Both the HDD and USB stick has been formated to NTFS on a Windows 10 PC.

Is there a bug in this TV's USB recording function ? or is there only a limited types of USB HDD that are supported by the TV ?

15 REPLIES 15
brian.tjensen
Explorer

Now I have tried to reboot the TV, but no change, the Hdd is still not recognizeable. 

brian.tjensen
Explorer

Now I after some more reboots I was suddenly able to register the HDD for recording. But then when I started to record, I was no longer able to change TV chanel and the menues was reacting very slowly. After a short time the TV froze completly, and I had remove the power from the TV i order to get it back to live. 

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

being a 4k tv you should be able to change channel while recording... by reboot you mean the same that I do (pressing the power off button till the tv reboot itself? if so next try unfortunately could only be a factory reset
brian.tjensen
Explorer

I have solved the problem by using a USB dual power cable, then it works just fine with the Hdd. So it seems the power on the USB port is a little lower on the Sony TV than my previous Panasonic TV. 

profile.country.GB.title
LoneRaider
Explorer

thanks for the valuable info on the min 32gb needing a 64gb disc as i have been going round in circles wondering why my new 32gb flash wasn't enough capacity to even register...so i will now buy a bigger hdd and hopefully that will solve the issue...otherwise there is nothing much in the manual about recording or caveats about what min 32gb actually means.   so great advice 

profile.country.GB.title
Terrygale
New

Hi Brian

judt curious, what model / make dual usb did you buy? - think I might need one!

thanks in advance.