Join now - be part of our community!

Subwoofer Output on Bravia KD55 AF8 OLED TV Android Update

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
therealvinceunlimited

Subwoofer Output on Bravia KD55 AF8 OLED TV Android Update

I purchased a Bravia KD55-AF8 OLED TV because of the picture quality and sound output.  I did not have space for a soundbar but did have a desire for improved low frequency sound.  I discovered the AF8 could reconfigure the headphone output to be a dedicated subwoofer output.  So I matched the TV with a REL T5i sub bass system [subwoofer].  It works wonderfully and I am happy with this.  The TV is controlled with an Android operating system.  I am not a fan of the clunky interface, slow response and the fact it has often crashed when pushed to the limit.  It is Android version 7.0.  I took a look at the Bravia AF9, the alleged replacement to the AF8 and it had Android version 8.0, which has a different interface and is customisable.  I further understand that Android version 8.0 will be available as an update to my own AF8 later this month [January 2019].  Firstly, is this the case, will Android version 8.0 be available for the AF8?  And if it isn't will the AF8 get an update to Android version 7.xx?  Secondly, on inspection of the sound settings on an AF9 using Android version 8.0 there is no facility to convert the headphone output to become a dedicated subwoofer output.  Is this because the AF9 is not 'hardwired' for this or has Android version 8.0 dropped this facility?  Thanks for taking the time to read my question.  Vince

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
therealvinceunlimited

I can now confirm that the Android ver 8.0 update will maintain the ability of a KD55 AF8 OLED TV to select use of the headphone jack out put to be configured for a sub-bass system [subwoofer].  I was able to witness this when my local dealer, Richer Sounds, Southampton, kindly updated their store demo TV.  Richer Sounds used a download of the software update onto a USB drive stick as it hasn't yet arrived as on over the air update. I am awaiting patiently for the over the air update for my own TV to be updated.  The update has been promised as a gradual roll out 'from 30 January 2019' according to an email Sony sent me on 6 February 2019.  It is now March and I am still waiting.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.CA.title
joaosaxify
Explorer

Hum not sure I have the answer to your question, but I am actually interested in knowing more about the possibility of using AF9 headphone output as subwoofer.. where can I find more info on this? Does the stand integrated subwoofer of the TV gets disabled when using the headphone out solution? I have an old 2015 Sony TV model, and it is compatible with the Sony SWF-BR100 wireless subwoofer which I love. It kinda works the same way, there is a wireless transmitor that is plugged in the headphone output, and transmits sounds wirelessly to the subwoofer. I wanted to upgrade my TV to the newly announced A9G or A8G but I want the ability to plug an external subwoofer. Let me know if this is possible, I will take a look in the user manual for more info.

profile.country.GB.title
therealvinceunlimited

Hi, Thanks for taking a look at my question. I’m afraid I cannot assist in the tech abilities of the models you mention. I believe the AF9 is equipped with two sub bass speakers, which would give a wider respouse than my AF8 model. Maybe that is why I could not find the simple headphone/subwoofer option in the operating system. The system did offer other sound options not available on the AF8/Android ver. 7.0. I cannot recall them specifically but they were based on sound stage effects. I am sure the operating manuals could give greater insight into this. Regarding the wireless option I could have used a similar set up with my REL T5i but as it sits directly below my TV a direct cable connection seemed logical and saved on using two power supplies. I wish you luck in your quest to mate a new Sony Bravia with a sub bass system because as excellent as Sony’s internal bass units are they usually cannot match a dedicated external system.

Vince

Also as an addendum: You asked whether the internal bass speaker is disabled when using the external subwoofer output.  I don't think it did this on my AF8 when I added the REL, although I cannot be certain as I set this up straight away.  However, like all sub bass systems you have to take the time to set up the speaker to phase in and merge with the other TV system speakers. This process is explained in the operating manual of the sub bass speaker and prevents the awkward jump or gap between the bass response of the TV and when the sub bass rolls in.

profile.country.GB.title
therealvinceunlimited

I can now confirm that the Android ver 8.0 update will maintain the ability of a KD55 AF8 OLED TV to select use of the headphone jack out put to be configured for a sub-bass system [subwoofer].  I was able to witness this when my local dealer, Richer Sounds, Southampton, kindly updated their store demo TV.  Richer Sounds used a download of the software update onto a USB drive stick as it hasn't yet arrived as on over the air update. I am awaiting patiently for the over the air update for my own TV to be updated.  The update has been promised as a gradual roll out 'from 30 January 2019' according to an email Sony sent me on 6 February 2019.  It is now March and I am still waiting.

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Hi @therealvinceunlimited,

Thanks for taking your time to post back sharing your findings. Regarding the Android TV 8.0 update, be aware that the initial release has been temporarily suspended from rolling out to applicable TV's via an OTA update. The upcoming release will address a number of issues which resulted undesirably during the integration of the new operating system. You can read more details on this article. The advice is to hold back from updating the TV manually and rather allowing your TV to update automatically via the OTA update. This will ensure a smoother migration to the new operating system by maintaining all current functionality your TV has running on Android TV 7.0.

Cheers,

Dutchice

@joaosaxify: Be aware that the Subwoofer Out functionality is not supported on the AF9. It just might be worth to await the full specifications of the AG9 to be released in order to make a better purchase judgement between the AF8, AF9 or AG9.