Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Bravia TV Netflix 5.1 to Yamaha receiver audio dropouts problem

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
stuhac

Sony Bravia TV Netflix 5.1 to Yamaha receiver audio dropouts problem

The audio from the Sony Bravia KDL43WE753 Netflix app keeps dropping out when output to my Yamaha RX-660 receiver in Dolby Digital 5.1. The dropouts last less than a second, but are really annoying as they happen regularly (the time between each dropout seems random. Sometimes the audio is fine for several minutes, but other times they happen every few seconds). I’m currently having to change the tv output to PCM whenever I want to watch Netflix.

Only the tv’s Netflix app has the problem. I don’t have the problem in any of these scenarios:

- Digital Audio Out set to PCM (i.e. not using 5.1)

- Netflix app on my Virgin TiVo box output via hdmi to TV then on to the receiver using the tv’s Digital Audio Out of Auto1 or Auto2 (this was almost a workaround, but the picture quality is very poor from the Virgin box)

- Blu-ray player via hdmi to tv then on to the receiver, as above

- any other 5.1 digital output from the tv (e.g. from HD TV channels)

I’ve done a range of things to try and solve the issue, but nothing’s worked:

- Tried 3 different HDMI and 1 optical cable from the tv to the receiver

- turned ARC and BRAVIA Sync Settings on and off in a variety of different ways

- set Digital Audio Out to either auto1 or auto2

- set Dolby Digital Plus Out to either auto or off

- restoring factory settings

Does this tv have an unresolved problem with its 5.1 Netflix output, or is there something I need to do?

I’ve run out of ideas, so any help would be much appreciated!

37 REPLIES 37
profile.country.GB.title
stuhac

Hi Dutchice,

Sony have recently phoned to let me know that, while they believe that it's a software problem in the TV, they haven't managed to replicate or fix. I've just sent them my John Lewis receipt as they are looking into getting me an equivalent TV replacement...

so far I've found Sony's helpdesk to be really good and customer-focused, so I'm hopeful that I'll soon have a replacement TV - hopefully without this issue!

profile.country.GB.title
stuhac

Hi all,

After hearing from Sony I got an engineer out from John Lewis, as I'm covered by their parts and labour warranty.

The engineer replaced the mainboard and since then I've had faultless 5.1 surround sound from Netflix.

I guess the moral of the story is that not every apparent software issue actually is one!

Thanks to everyone who offered advice and ideas...

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Thank you @stuhac for taking time and sharing your solution. We greatly appreciate it since it helps many others in situations just like yourself.

Cheers,

Dutchice

profile.country.GB.title
stuhac

Infuriatingly, after about 5 months of it working flawlessly after the motherboard replacement, the problem has reappeared. An engineer has just left after replacing the motherboard again, but this time the problem is still there. I've no idea what to do now as it seems there's no fix for this problem 😞

profile.country.GB.title
stuhac

For anyone following this thread (probably just me by this point), here is the latest:

1. Installed a LAN powerline adapter so the TV is now LAN connected rather than using wifi. This resulted in Netflix becoming a little more responsive, but did not solve the audio drop-outs

2. Reset the Yamaha RX-A660 to factory settings. After doing this, I managed to watch Stranger Things season finale without any drop-outs (at least, I think so. There may have been a dropout at one point in the middle, but it could just have been paranoia on my part!)

Flunky_MP
New

Did you ever resolve this issue? I am having the same issue, factory reset of my Yamaha AVR fixed the issue initially but then it returned after a few days

profile.country.GB.title
mhaselden

I had the same issue after a firmware update about the same time on my Sony XE70. The issue only happened when I watched 4k content using Netflix or prime apps using my Yamaha av amp (hdmi and optical out, tried both). Everything else was fine. Sony replaced my tv with a better model in the end as it was in warranty.

They did replace the main board that took the firmware back to the default and the 4k sound worked. The moment the engineer updated the firmware the issue came back.

100% a firmware issue and did not get good customer service from Sony. It was so bad, they also gave me money as well as a better tv.

TOMBOY9999
Explorer

Hi

Just bought a new Sony Bravia, I have this exact issue with Netflix. Is a replacement TV or service the only solution?

Thanks

Graham

profile.country.GB.title
stuhac

I never found a solution after years of trying, ended up buying a Samsung TV to replace the Sony. Shame, because the Sony picture quality was really good. 😞

profile.country.GB.title
mhaselden

What model Sony tomboy9999? 

It doesnt seem to be an issue with the android TVs, they have other firmware issues , but the x*70's definitely.