Join now - be part of our community!

No surround sound when using audio passthrough via HDMI

profile.country.NZ.title
ozbob68
New

No surround sound when using audio passthrough via HDMI

I am using all sony kit (TV KD-65X9300D, 4k bluray UBP-X800 and stereo / bluray BDV-N7200), all connected through HDMI. I can only get front sound coming out of the stereo when playing on the 4K Player, the surround simply will not work. I have tested the speakers using the built in function of the stereo, all working properly.

I have taken a test standard bluray and it plays surround when played direct from the stereo bluray, but will not play surround from the 4K player thru the TV to the stereo. I have tried linking from TV to stereo via fibre cable, which has the same result, and also tried to direct connect between 4K player and stereo with HDMI, which produces nothing.

So, I can get 4K or surround sound, but not both. Is the TV not passing it through correctly, or is it in a format that the stereo (which is a little old but firmware is up-to-date) is tool old to understand? I have tried registering in the Asia-Pacific forums which is my current region (in case someone says "that model wa not released here") but they have the technical capability of a concussed gibbon right now and I get getting locked out.

Share and Enjoy.

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Sean_Mc

Hi there,

Welcome to the Sony Community.

I will update this thread as soon as I have an answer for you. In the meantime perhaps another member can help.

Best wishes,

Sean Mc

profile.country.GB.title
Vanilla_
Contributor

Hi ozbob68,

That's interesting.

So just to confirm my understanding, You can only get 4K and surround sound when you connect the Bluray player directly to the sound system, while the sound system is connected to the TV via HDMI cable. If you connect the player and the sound system separately to the TV via HDMI cables, you don't get surround sound. Is this correct ?

If yes, have you tried replacing the HDMI cables to see if that would make any difference?

Vanilla_

profile.country.NZ.title
ozbob68
New

Vanilla

Thanks for replying, you are correct, I can only get surround with direct connect between player and stereo, not through the TV. I swapped out the tv-to-stereo hdmi cable with a brand new high speed hdmi, with no change in behaviour. I know the 4k-to-tv cable is high speed, because it already plays 4K. The fibre audio cable is also brand new.

I did find a bodge by using the direct connect, (it did not work at first, but seems to work now) from the 4k player to an HDMI input (not the ARC Input) on the stereo. It would be nice to be able to get a tidier solution through the TV, but am happy for now.

Had forgotten how the speech came through the front speaker on 5.1, and had to try both bluray and 4k on different players and confirm it was working OK.

Share and Enjoy! OzBob