Join now - be part of our community!

Bravia Sync problem

profile.country.GB.title
progers1947
Explorer

Bravia Sync problem

I have an Android TV, KD-43XF8096 connected to a Home Theatre System HT-SF360 and a Virgin TIVO box (there is also a Sony Blu Ray player and a DVD recorder in the setup).  All was well until recently when I added surge protected extension leads to the set up.  The TV has always been left on standby but the Home Theatre system was powered down at night.  Once I changed the extension leads, I have powered down the Virgin TIVO at night but the set up apparently loses the Bravia Sync set up and the TIVO remote will no longer control the Home Theatre System.

I have now set the Home Theatre system to be left on standby with the TV and these are connected through the existing extension leads but every morning I still have to reset the Bravia Sync on the TV.

Anyone have any idea what is wrong here?

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@progers1947 

We need to know how these devices are wired to one another.

The usual problem with surge protected extension leads is that if you are using PowerLine Adapters to make an Ethernet-over-the-mains link between your router and one or more of your connected devices, then these leads regard the Ethernet signal as noise, and clean it right off the mains feed.

That’s why it is recommended that PLAs should always go directly in a wall socket, and not on an extension lead.

Other than that, the only implication I can see that would make such leads prevent your system working like it did is that there was a path to earth that the setup relied on, which using these leads blocks.

But if this is the case, then your setup was wrong before, and possibly dangerous, so I do hope it’s not that.

Another thought would be that before, you left the TiVo in standby, but now you power it right off, and you used to power the Home Theatre right off, but now you leave it in standby.

This seems to have been a change you made at the same time as installing the new extension leads.

Can you try going back to your old powering arrangements, but over the new leads?

And I don’t know why you would power the TiVo down overnight anyway. It won’t be able to record anything, and it won’t be able to get software updates in a timely fashion, if you do that.

I am also not clear as to what is losing BraviaSync (CEC) and how. Are you saying that, even on a TV left in Standby, BraviaSync spontaneously turns itself off overnight?

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
progers1947
Explorer

All the devices are connected through the Home Theatre System using HDMI cables.

I have set the Virgin box to turn off as it uses 20W whether on or in standby i.e. just under 0.5kW per day

If I turn off the amplifier overnight (TV permanently on standby overnight) then the Bravia Sync connections are fine the next morning.

If i turn off the BluRay player and DVD recorder then the Bravia Sync connections are lost!

I'm going to try connecting these though a non surge protected strip and turning them off at night and see if that makes any difference; if it does, I'll return to the original set up without using protected strips.