Join now - be part of our community!

Acoustic Auto Calibration

profile.country.GB.title
Er1cWill72
Explorer

Acoustic Auto Calibration

Have the XR 48A90K and have calibrated the sound using the "Acoustic Auto Calibration" feature.                      In the next few days I will get and connect up the Sony HT-A3000 soundbar and it has a feature to calibrate sound for the room environment  the speaker. It is called "Sound Field Optimisation"

Two (maybe silly) Questions:-

Are TV "Acoustic Auto Calibration" and  soundbar "Sound Field Optimisation" basically the same thing?

Do I need switch off the TV  "Acoustic Auto Calibration" if I set up the soundbar "Sound Field Optimisation" to avoid any conflict?

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
daveyh64
Contributor

The Acoustic Auto Calibration is for the speakers in your TV so when using TV only it will use the AA Calibration.

The Sound Field Optimisation is for the speakers in the Soundbar and will be used when you use the TV with the Soundbar switched on. No need to switch off the AA Calibration on the TV.

profile.country.GB.title
Er1cWill72
Explorer

Thankyou 

Thing is the HT-A3000 soundbar not only connects to my XR 48A90K OLED TV by an HDMI cable but also connects with a lead an S-"Centre Speaker in" port on the TV.  

Currently without the soundbar my TV speaker is actually the screen.

With  the S Centre speaker connection between TV & Soundbar the soundbar synchronises with my TV resulting in the centre soundbar speaker being replaced with the TV Screen Speaker.

Maybe I am overthinking this , but connecting up to have the TV screen speaker as the centre speaker in place of the soundbar centre speaker (The soundbar inbuilt subwoofers in play only) there may be conflict with AA Calib & SF Optimisation both active

profile.country.GB.title
daveyh64
Contributor

Yes it doesn't matter, as soon as you fire up the Soundbar the Acoustic Auto Calibration is overridden in favour of the Soundbars calibration. Once you have the soundbar connected and calibrated you can go into the TVs Display & Sound menu and you will see that Acoustic Auto Calibration is greyed out meaning it is disabled. That will be regardless if you are using the Soundbars own centre speaker or opting to use theTVs inbuilt speakers as the centre channel.

If you are not using the Soundbar and only the TVs speakers the AA Calibration in Display & Sound will become active again.

profile.country.GB.title
Er1cWill72
Explorer

Crystal Clear, so thanks again.

Regards

Er1cWill72

profile.country.GB.title
Er1cWill72
Explorer

Maybe you will be able to "straighten" me out on the Sound Field Optimisation feature, because I am not sure I understand when it can and can't be utilised.

On setting up my new soundbar I have only been able to manually set up:-

1) The position of the sound bar to the TV (Front, Under or Behind)

2) The distance between the viewers sitting position and the soundbar

3) Db sound settings

"Speaker settings information" , Soundfield optimisation" and Soundfield Adjustment" are "ghosted" out under "Advanced Settings"

I only have the soundbar without any external wireless speakers or Sub Woofers.

Is "Soundfield optimisation" only applicable to those with external wireless speakers?

profile.country.GB.title
daveyh64
Contributor

If you press the Sound field button on the remote do you now get access to the Sound Field settings

under Advanced Settings.

Click on  the link below to the online manual, got to Adjusting the Volume and Sound quality.

Then click on Enjoying Surround Effect ( Sound Field).

https://helpguide.sony.net/ht/a3000/v1/en/contents/TP1000525554.html

This a link to the Sony Support site for your Soundbar, here you can access the online manuals, downloads  and Q&A's.

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/sound-bars-home-theater-systems-sound-bars-surround-speak...

profile.country.GB.title
Er1cWill72
Explorer

I press the Sound field button it lets me toggle between SF Surround off & SF Surround on. I understand that, but when I go through "Advanced settings" to Speaker settings the "Sound Field Optimisation " to optimise the sound around the room taking into account wireless speakers positions is ghosted out.

Is this because I don't have external wireless speakers ?  

My Queery is  the "Sound Field optimisation" facility only possible if wireless speakers are present.

So without external wireless speakers I only can do Manual adjustment (Soundbar to TV position, Soundbar to seated listener distance and Db adjustment).

Also only having the ability to toggle between SF on or off through the remote Sound Field button

Concerned that if I went through great expense purchasing Sony wireless speakers and I still failed to utilise a ghosted out "Sound Field Optimisation" feature that should to take into account wireless speaker positions, room shape etc to create 360 degree spacial mapping complete with Phantom speakers and all.

profile.country.GB.title
daveyh64
Contributor

As I don't have that Soundbar I can't really help much more than pointing you to the on line manual

as I did in my last post.

If you click on the first link I posted and then go to 

Changing The Settings> Performing Advanced Settings>  Audio

There it tells you need to have the optional rear speakers if you want to utilise the 360 spatial sound mapping.

For the other settings I can't see that it mentions you have to have other speakers connected.

The rest is up to you, I'm watching the football.