Join now - be part of our community!

A95K + Sonos Arc + Apple TV = Black screen

profile.country.DK.title
GrummeFar
Explorer

A95K + Sonos Arc + Apple TV = Black screen

I’ve got a small problem with my setup. I’m solely using the Apple TV to stream content and therefore turn TV on directly to the Apple TV source. Unfortunately I’ve encountered this weird problem where screen turns on and shows picture for a second and then goes black for 5 seconds before turning on again. It seems like it happens every time the system detects my Sonos Arc after startup since it happens right after “Audio system active” message is shown in screen. Sony advised me to disable Bravia Sync which did fix the problem but then I’ve got to use the Sony remote to change source every time I turn the TV on which isn’t optimal. Anyone else with the same problem and have you found a fix?

Short clip of the problem

I’ve tried adjusting settings on the Apple TV (match frame and range on/off) but nothing helps.

Love everything about the setup otherwise. Perfect picture and sound is great with the Sonos Arc and Sub!

Tags (4)
11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@GrummeFar 

As a test, have you tried disabling/disconnecting the Sonos Arc, and seeing if the problem goes away?

If so, you could then consult Sonos and report that their Arc is causing the problem, and do they have any suggestions?

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.DK.title
GrummeFar
Explorer

I’ve already tried doing as you mention. It doesn’t fix the problem. The only “solution” I’ve found is disabling Bravia Sync which means I can’t turn on TV with my Apple TV remote anymore. Therefore isn’t a solution.

I’ll try reach out to Sonos.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@GrummeFar 

But if dropping the Sonos Arc out of the equation doesn’t fix the problem, then surely

A95K + Apple TV = Black Screen?

So what help can Sonos offer when their Arc isn’t part of the problem?

profile.country.DK.title
GrummeFar
Explorer

You’re right. I don’t think the Arc is the problem in this case since the TV handles the “handshake” between devices when turned on. My guess would be the TV software. The Sony representative didn’t seem too interested in acknowledging the problem.

I’ll try reach out to Sonos they might have heard of the problem before.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@GrummeFar 

I’ve realised I haven’t asked you which generation of Apple TV you have. What’s the number shown in Settings/About?

Also, I haven’t asked you how you are turning the TV on. On my Apple TV 4K 2nd Generation remote, I have the Power (sleep/wake) button top right, and the TV/Control Centre button middle right.

These seem to be interchangeable for my purposes, but may differ for you.

I’m using the Apple TV with a 2020 LG Nano TV. The power-on behaviour, with either button, is that the Apple TV lights up, the TV turns on, shows the briefest display of what it was last set to, if that wasn’t the Apple TV input, and then changes to the Apple TV input. This all takes only a second or two.

I don’t have a soundbar on the Nano. I could move the Apple TV box to the downstairs LG GX which does, though jury-rigging power to the Apple TV is a task for when my wife is safely elsewhere. And I’m not sure what it would prove, anyway. Fun, though.

Here are the manuals for the various Apple TV boxes. There are some button reassignment options there, in particular for the TV/Control Centre button that might be worth exploring:-

https://support.apple.com/en_GB/manuals/appletv

profile.country.DK.title
GrummeFar
Explorer

It’s the newest generation with USB-C in the remote.

I’m going to reconnect everything today and see if it helps. I’ll report back.

profile.country.GB.title
TheMaze
Community Team

Hi,

I'd suggest you to try to unplug your TV from the mains along with the Sonos arc and the Apple TV for at least 2 minutes, then connect everything back again and test.

Also, it's worth checking if your TV software is up-to-date: https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/oled-tvs-android-a95k-series/xr-55a95k/software/00283238

profile.country.DK.title
GrummeFar
Explorer

I’ve been testing different settings out for the last couple days and I’ve finally found the culprit.

It’s eARC! When eARC is enabled in sound settings black screen appears when turning TV on. When it’s disabled (only using ARC) there’s no more black screen.

I’m going to leave eARC off since content streamed through Apple TV is only able to use DD+ anyway which ARC is capable of outputting.  I’ll just enable eARC when watching Blu-ray through my PS5.

I’ve contacted Sony to inform them about my findings. Hopefully it will be fixed in future software updates.

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey GrummeFar, just out of curiosity, does the Sonos support eARC? Also, when you said you took it out, did you just disable it or disconnect it completely? As if you disconnected it, it doesn't seem logical that disabling eARC worked! 

Which SW version do you have on your TV BTW?