Join now - be part of our community!

4k streaming to TV buffering and stuttering

profile.country.GB.title
Mchaggis69

4k streaming to TV buffering and stuttering

Setup is a QNAP TS-251A
1Gb internet connection
fully wired (cat 5e) setup to a new Sony KD-55AF8 Television

I've been trying to stream 4k content from the QNAP to the TV.

I've tried
Kodi (on the TV)
Plex (on the QNAP)
VLC (on the TV)
I've even tried the Sony media player via DLNA to the QNAP
and various other so-called media players.

For the record, Kodi is my system of choice and plays my 1080p content flawlessly.
I have disappointingly found out the TV does not have gigabit network hardware built in, but I've also tried wireless which I was suggested would get me better speeds/playback.

However on high bitrate 4k files (80Mbps) no matter what I do, I'm getting varying levels of buffering and stuttering playback (depending on what media player I'm using).
4k playback via the internet (youtube etc) plays fine, so why can't I stream 4k from my NAS properly?

Any clues or things to try very much appreciated.

Is it possible to plug a gigabit network adaptor into the TV via USB to give me more bandwidth?

16 REPLIES 16
profile.country.GB.title
Mchaggis69

OK, the model of USB-LAN convertor I tried was from Currys -

TP-LINK UE300 USB 3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet Universal Adapter

It looks like it works when you plug it in (light flashes white), but the TV doesn't recognise it is connected to the network.

I contacted Sony support who told me thry couldn't give a note of compatible adaptors as the USB slots are designed for USB storage/cameras etc only.

They also told me to turn my TV and router off and on again... lol

and then a list of 'troubleshooting' items, like I've never tried any of it myself.

I'm resigned to my Nvidia shield and will use that for my Android interface and together with a 4Tb drive will (should) be able to stream 4k content easily to the TV via HDMI.

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

Have you tried the same files via wireless?

profile.country.GB.title
Newtothis

I have tried wireless, it was slightly better, but not good enough.

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

@Newtothis wrote:

I have tried wireless, it was slightly better, but not good enough.

Thanks, I thought about trying it but gave up and just end up copying files to USB and playing them off a drive. Still can't understand in this day and age 10/100Mbps ethernet ports! I wonder if the 2019 models will still be shackled with these or finally upgraded to gigabit.

profile.country.GB.title
Newtothis

I have managed to get some higher bitrate clips playing, using VLC. I select UPnP for my nas rather than smb, this speeds things up a little. Still not good enough for 80mbit videos though.

Considering a multi device usb switch and just using an external usb hdd.

So annoyed with Sony!! They should have added gigabit network. 

profile.country.GB.title
Mchaggis69

Can confirm that VLC with UPnP connection to server plays back high bitrate content smoothest, but as you say, still not perfectly.

Also, for all its faults, I do like Kodi as a front end for my content so will try and get it working.

profile.country.NL.title
jeffhar1
Explorer

My experience is that the buffering in my case were network and NOT the TV related. 
Both wired and WiFi, my TV reaches my maximum internet speed of 60mbs via speed test.
An HDR10bit, H265 4K DD5.1 ​​movie of 20mbs bitrate in total could therefore be played flawlessly via the LAN.
Still, I suffered from buffering with KODI.
I switched from wired LAN connection to Wifi (5ghz) and sudenly all has solved!!.
Since I have not checked the cables (CAT5E), my conclusion for now and in my case, is that the standard provider modem / router is the limiting factor.
The router apparently cannot correctly handle 2 wired LAN ports at once with 20mbs each (1x20 upload from the server PC and 1x20mbs download at the TV). My TV is a KD65XH90 ..
Test file played with Kodi 18.9 over the LAN as a Windows smb share.
Via DLNA (Serviio) HD and 4K streams flawless without buffering, but at 4K transcoding takes place, resulting in no HDR.
This is a Serviio problem (no recent Sony TV tuned profile available). Hopefully someone will benefit from my experience.
UPdate:
I was still able to quickly do a cable and network infrastructure check. 
Now connected both my PC server and TV directly to the LAN ports of my modem / router. The server was first connected behind a TPlink modem / router (configured as switch).
This also solved problem with buffering. Conclusion: 4K HDR H265 of 20mbs over LAN is no problem for the TV with Kodi, both via WiFi and wired. The moden / router of my privider can therefore also handle 2x LAN ports of 20mbs each.
Extra hardware in the netwerk do effects performance (if mot properly tuned 😞