Join now - be part of our community!

Shooting/Pointing NEX-5R at the sun (sunrise)

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
allitca
Visitor

Shooting/Pointing NEX-5R at the sun (sunrise)

Ive taken a few direct sunlight pictures of the sunrise this morning (no-filter & 18-55 lens) and only afterwards have thought if it would do any damage to the camera looking directly at the sun?

A few other questions are...

When viewing images the camera has mechanical movement inside like its trying to focus? is that ok?

Trying to shood macro close ups with the 18-55; the camera struggles to focus in af (pictures of grass/or object on the table) just wouldnt focus at all, is this normal or should I seek advice whilst still under warranty?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello allitca :slight_smile:

Regarding looking directly at the sun, the only times that I have heard of direct damage to the internal parts of a camera have all involved a prolonged period of use. You may need to use your own judgement to work out what would be 'prolonged', however you must also bear in mind that there are metallic elements inside the camera and these would be affected, possibly permanently, by extended exposure to the magnified heat involved.

When you are viewing the images, the mechanical noise is probably OK. However, if it gets louder or more pronounced over time this may indicate an internal problem. For the focusing issue, how close exactly have you been getting to the subject?

Thanks,

Simon

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello allitca :slight_smile:

Regarding looking directly at the sun, the only times that I have heard of direct damage to the internal parts of a camera have all involved a prolonged period of use. You may need to use your own judgement to work out what would be 'prolonged', however you must also bear in mind that there are metallic elements inside the camera and these would be affected, possibly permanently, by extended exposure to the magnified heat involved.

When you are viewing the images, the mechanical noise is probably OK. However, if it gets louder or more pronounced over time this may indicate an internal problem. For the focusing issue, how close exactly have you been getting to the subject?

Thanks,

Simon