Join now - be part of our community!

SEL2470GM2 focus issue

profile.country.FI.title
peuotil
Explorer

SEL2470GM2 focus issue

Hi,

My problem is my new 24-70 2.8 lense and its distance info.

My subject is in 1,5 meter distance and in the tele end 70mm in the viewfinder in manual focus mode the cam A1 agrees, shows the same.

But, when I look from the same position same subject with 24mm focal length, I have to focus it to about 2.5 meters to get it sharp. This is not typical for my other Sony lenses and I have not got any answers from Sony support yet.

I believe this lense have to be fixed... has anynody else had same experience?

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
danardeng
Contributor

For me is hard to think about an issue that must be fixed..

This is not a measurement instrument, it’s a photographic lens, you can’t expect to measure the exact distance.

In addition it could be easier for a tele lens, but it’s very hard for a wide angle lens to define if the exact focus plan is at 2m or 2,5m.. at f/2.8 they are both in dof.

The same that in the oldest manual lens we find on focus ring scale of distance: the meter division for wide angle lenses was very approximate.

Some time ago I was meet a man that was warranted by his 400mm that was unable to find the exact distance of a mountain.. it’s not a measurement instrument 

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hi peuotil, I have to agree with danardeng, I don't sense a fault here. If you're suspecting something, why don't you contact Sony support directly? Or even your retailer? 

profile.country.FI.title
peuotil
Explorer

Thank you to both of You for your thoughts...

I tried several times to contact Sony support in Finland but they never replied in any way.

Yesterday I was finally able to compare my lense to an other equal one in the shop.

They both behaved in a same way with A1 & FX6 ...so it is a feature in autofocus mode.

It is visible when FX6 is in autofocus mode... but when both lense&cam are in manual mode the info in the viewfinder is accurate.

It is a relief to know this, I really like the lense and it would have been unpleasant to send it serviced.

Luckily I had bought the lense from local seller who had an other copy so I got the help I needed to solve this this time.
Pekka