Join now - be part of our community!

NEX5n – 'Battery Incompatible' message

profile.country.GB.title
sfoster00
New

NEX5n – 'Battery Incompatible' message

I bought the NEX 5n just before Christmas along with a spare Sony battery as I had read in the reviews that they run down fairly quickly. The spare battery was fully charged and when I finally swapped it with the one that came with the camera last week, on turning it on, I got the message that the battery was incompatible. I took that battery back to the shop and they swapped it. I tried it in the shop in it seemed to work fine but I put the original one back in the camera. Now, on trying to use the camera the next day I again get the message with the original battery. I therefore swapped it with the spare and also get the same message. I was really pleased with my camera and had been checking all the reviews since last September before finally deciding to buy it. Before this I had always been a 'Canon man'. I am now unable to use the camera at all. I know there have been some discussions about 3rd party batteries being incompatible but these are both Sony batteries, bought from a Sony shop. It would now seem that the battery the the shop replaced was actually fine and that it was the camera that was at fault. However, it does seem to be a bit of a coincidence that this fault suddenly appeared after I swapped batteries. Has anyone else had this problem with their camera? Obviously when you put a battery in the camera chacks the battery and I guess the battery has some sort of chip in that the camera checks. Presumably this is Sony's way of ensuring that only the right sort of battery is used. However, if there is a fault on the part in the camera that does the checking, even though the camera works fine, it is rendered useless. Is this another fine example of having technology that we never really needed in the first place?

I suppose I am now going to have to start the whole Warranty process now unless anyone can help? Plus I have just found out the store is closing down on Thursday!

Message was edited by: sfoster00

Message was edited by: sfoster00

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.en_GB.title
Mick2011
New

Hi sfoster, welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

The only time I've heard of this is with 3rd party or fake batteries, with which it is almost guaranteed to happen.

If you're certain these are both genuine Sony batteries purchased from a Sony store (looking like this, for around £70) then we need to look at a possible camera malfunction.

The first thing to do would be to reset the camera. Remove the battery and switch the camera ON, then depress the shutter release button, holding it for 30 seconds. Release, turn the camera OFF, replace the battery and power up as normal.

Hopefully that will do the trick; it often fixes minor electronic problems. If it's still the same, you should contact Sony customer service for a warranty repair. See this thread for details.

Cheers

Mick

profile.country.GB.title
sfoster00
New

Hi Mick

Many thanks for the reply. They are definately the correct Sony batteries. I even phoned the shop this morning and he confirmed that he tried my battery, that he replaced, in another camera and it worked fine so it does suggest a problem with the camera. The guys in the Sony Centre are really helpful but unable to do very much given that they are closing down this Thursday (9th)!

I have just tried your suggestion and unfortunately it has not worked so it looks like I am going to have to send the camera back to the Sony Central Service... What a pain!

Many thanks for your advice anyway.

Cheers Steve

Mick2011
New

Sorry to hear that Steve. Sony are generally pretty quick with repairs, so hopefully you'll be up and running again in no time :cool:

Cheers

Mick

artross26
Visitor

Did this finally turn out to be the camera? I am having a similar situation where delivered battery worked for awhile. I charged it and my spare battery. Now neither works.

This is odd.

blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello artross26 - Welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

Hopefully the original user will see this and reply. Other than that, if the batteries are official and the camera is under a year old, it may be something that can be repaired under the camera warranty and so for a product fault like this, I would advise you to get in touch with Sony Customer Services. Their contact details can be found in the following forum thread:

https://www.sony.co.uk/discussions/message/651957#651957

Even if your setup is out of warranty, they would still be able to offer advice about the best course of action.

Thanks,

Simon