Join now - be part of our community!

Sony WHR-1000XM2 - Using headphones and microphone simultanaeously

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Omina_Fornoz
New

Sony WHR-1000XM2 - Using headphones and microphone simultanaeously

Hello,

Is it possible to use the XM2's aux cable and a headphone-mic splitter (looks like this) to have both headphone audio and microphone at the same time? I know that when using Bluetooth, the headphones don't support both high quality audio and using the mic at the same time, since Bluetooth doesn't have the bandwidth to support that. If I want to use the mic, I have to switch to the much lower quality "Headset" option in Windows sound settings and set that as the default - in other words, being able to use the mic at the cost of much lower quality. So ideally I should be able to use the cable instead whenever I need to use voice communication as well, but when I plug it into my PC, the mic comes up as a High-Definition Audio Device but doesn't work (only picks up static on Discord, can't hear myself), while the headphone output works fine.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @Omina_Fornoz,

no, since the headphones do not output the microphone signal wired.

Therefore only a TRS cable comes out (when using wired).

Best option is to get a cable with an in-line mic. Then you connect the headphones with the TRS end and the other side of the cable can then be plugged into the "splitter" you linked.

- Nic

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @Omina_Fornoz,

no, since the headphones do not output the microphone signal wired.

Therefore only a TRS cable comes out (when using wired).

Best option is to get a cable with an in-line mic. Then you connect the headphones with the TRS end and the other side of the cable can then be plugged into the "splitter" you linked.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
willie5QB
Explorer

I've been experiencing almost the same...

profile.country.GB.title
Omina_Fornoz
New

Yes, I had figured this out eventually. Good thing both of those cables are relatively cheap!

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @Omina_Fornoz,

glad I could help.

- Nic