Join now - be part of our community!

Sony VAIO with a DW-D56A

mokayad
Visitor

Sony VAIO with a DW-D56A

I have a Sony VAIO with a DW-D56A which has recently stopped working.

I can see the drive in explorer, but when a disc is inserted it doesn't "spin up" and I can't read ANY discs.

If I look at the properties for the drive, it shows disc not inserted.
Everything else shows that the CD drive is functioning correctly and there are no error codes.

I have tried to re-flash the firmware (PFS3) with no luck - However at the end of the flash process it does a disc "Inquiry" and then I can read the disc that I left in the drive. I made system recovery but unfortunetly with no sccuss!

Any help would be greatly appreciated - Seems strange that I can read it just after the firmware flash process????

4 REPLIES 4
benfmv
Visitor

Hi ! I also have a Vaio with this drive and had the same problem.

I suggest you read this thread :
http://www.club-vaio.sony-europe.com/clubvaio/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=36996

In my case, flashing the firmware solved the problem and the drive worked like a charm (for 1 and a half years so far).

Good luck !

Sebby
Visitor

This drive very commonly causes problems. I think it's probably fair to say that everyone that's had this drive has had a problem with it at some point. I sent my VAIO back to Sony and they replaced the optical drive with a different make/model.

tdw197
Visitor

This drive very commonly causes problems. I think it's probably fair to say that everyone that's had this drive has had a problem with it at some point. I sent my VAIO back to Sony and they replaced the optical drive with a different make/model.

Just to second the above, I sent my vaio back with a problem with this drive and they replaced straight away with the pioneer drive.

It was v. quick and they didn't even do a system restore!

mokayad
Visitor

i tried this thread
http://www.club-vaio.sonyeurope.com/clubvaio/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=36996 but also with no effect, i noticed that my cd/dvd drive read one of my dvd`s.
how much it cost to repair it by sony?