Join now - be part of our community!

Need some help vaio camera

Need some help vaio camera

Hi everybody. i would need some help. I have a VAIO notebook VGN-FE41S and i have a problem with the cam. Every time i try to use it appears this: An Attempt to initialize de camera failed. Please check if another software is using the camera. i dont no what's the problem because i've never used it. What should i do?

13 REPLIES 13
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi pedromg_rodrigues and welcome to Club Vaio.

1. Install Microsoft Hotfix KB931812 from here: -

MicrosoftVista-KB931812-v2-x86

2. Vaio Camera Capture Utility Version : 2.2.01.04100 from here:-

Sony Vaio-Link FE41S Downloads - read the instructions carefully, you need to run the downloaded .exe file TWICE.

:wink:

RJanner
Visitor

Hi blencogo,

I have the same problem on a SZ3VWP, should i follow the same advice.

The camera ceased to function after clean install of Vista Business, or is there another thread I should follow?

Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi RJanner,

Follow the same advice but make sure you have the camera driver installed first. Check in Device Manager to see if you have a Sony VGP-VCC2 camera installed. If not and you have a generic USB camera installed you will need to install the proper driver. You will find it on your Recovery discs or in the Preinstalled Drivers (for XP) download for your model.

Install KB931812

I would try and install the VCCU Ver 2.2 from the FE41S download site because the latest version for your model is Ver 2.0 which does not have the latest fix included.

Thank you u Blencogo...

RJanner
Visitor

Hi RJanner,

Follow the same advice but make sure you have the camera driver installed first. Check in Device Manager to see if you have a Sony VGP-VCC2 camera installed. If not and you have a generic USB camera installed you will need to install the proper driver. You will find it on your Recovery discs or in the Preinstalled Drivers (for XP) download for your model.

Install KB931812

I would try and install the VCCU Ver 2.2 from the FE41S download site because the latest version for your model is Ver 2.0 which does not have the latest fix included.

Thanks Blencogo, followed your instructions but am unable to install KB931812, evidently it does not apply to my system, by system, do they mean VGN-SZ3VWP or do they mean Vista Business, who knows?

You are right in that the device manager does not show VCC2, although it is in the drivers, so that means it is not installed I presume? and there is no exe. file,

The I tried VCCU ver 2.2 as suggested, but at the end of that I receive the 'not installed' error box.

maybe it is just that the camera is not designed to work with Vista and is no more than a pretty apendage to the lid?

But I appreciate your efforts
Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I'm not sure but perhaps the Hotfix and the Camera Utility will not install because it does not think you have a Sony Camera.

Can you install the camera by right-clicking on it in Device Manager -> Update Driver -> Manually Install -> Have Disc -> Browse to the folder with the VCC2 driver?

The XP Driver is the same as the Vista driver.

:thinking:

RJanner
Visitor

This is the crux of the problem now I think, as the device manager does not show the camera, or any camera.

Any idea as to how to get it on, i have tried all the previous but no success yet?

and thanks Blencogo

kinetic_flight
Visitor

Yes, join the club, welcome to the horrendously stupid Sony Vaio support, they have got your money, now enjoy the show!

If the lack of drivers don't get you, the Vaio update will.

And see if they give a damn, phone up support and enjoy the show!

They will keep you entertained for 12 months until your warranty expires.

Ha, ha, ha, ha...
(Hysterical laugh)

RJanner
Visitor

Blencogo, I have reinstalled the drivers pre Vista, followed your instructions and now have a working camera. Well done and thanks. In addition the vAIO help desk provided me a step by step guide which is attached should anyone need it.