Join now - be part of our community!

what is the video recording time with nex 5n?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
anusca
Visitor

what is the video recording time with nex 5n?

what is the video recording time with the nex 5n?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Continuous video recording is limited to 30 minutes.

As part of European Law, any hybrid camera that records video at  800 X 600 and 23 fps (or higher) continuously for more than 30 minutes is designated a 'Video Camera Recorder'.

The European Union applies customs duties to imported 'video camera recorders' made outside the EU.  This substantially increases the price of the product so manufacturers all build in this 30 minute limit to their DSLR and other 'still' cameras capable of video recording.

I know it is bizarre as there is no European video camera manufacturers to warrant these protectionism import taxes and I'm sure this restriction will disappear one day - but it will be years yet!

:wink:

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Continuous video recording is limited to 30 minutes.

As part of European Law, any hybrid camera that records video at  800 X 600 and 23 fps (or higher) continuously for more than 30 minutes is designated a 'Video Camera Recorder'.

The European Union applies customs duties to imported 'video camera recorders' made outside the EU.  This substantially increases the price of the product so manufacturers all build in this 30 minute limit to their DSLR and other 'still' cameras capable of video recording.

I know it is bizarre as there is no European video camera manufacturers to warrant these protectionism import taxes and I'm sure this restriction will disappear one day - but it will be years yet!

:wink:

anusca
Visitor

Thank you very much for reply!

profile.country.ru_RU.title
somenick
Visitor

Is there any way to hack this artificial limitation?

profile.country.GB.title
smanning
New

Clever wording by sony. Continuous recording might be limited to 30 minutes but the sensor overheats after about 10-15 minutes. So it really has a recording time of about 15 mins.

blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello smanning - Welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

This overheating may only occur in certain operating conditions - have you noticed that this problem gets worse in particular situations?

Thanks,

Simon

profile.country.en_LV.title
MihkelT
Visitor

this overhetaing occurs always - at least with my NEX-5N! No chance to film longer than 10 minutes in whatever conditions (just couple of weeks ago I tried to film at -5 degrees outside temperature (celsius)). No difference! After approx. 10 minutes the fun was over!