Join now - be part of our community!

Does all NEX cameras have the annoying overheating bug?

profile.country.sv_SE.title
Beta99
Visitor

Does all NEX cameras have the annoying overheating bug?

It seems like the cameras shuts down at much lower temperatures when shooting multiple short clips than longer clips. Why is the number of clips more important than the actual internal camera temperature???

There is something horrible wrong when the cameras can record over 30-minutes but shuts down at around 5-minutes when shooting short clips.

See this thread for some really strange overheating examples.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3354747

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.en_GB.title
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello and welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

I have referred this message and the link to the technical support team at Sony, to see if there is any further information available about this problem. As soon as I hear anything, I will let you know.

Thanks,

Simon

profile.country.en_GB.title
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello again :slight_smile:

I have been looking into this further, and this process is actually more of a self-defence mechanism to prevent overheating. Protecting the expensive components inside the camera is a priority, which means that there are certain situations that will force the camera to shut down, in order to prevent further damage. This can include taking a number of videos in quick succession, or going straight from taking photos to shooting video.

Overall, the key message here is that it is not a malfunction.

Thanks,

Simon

profile.country.de_DE.title
cmosse
Contributor

I have tried to reproduce the overheat issue when shooting multiple short clips with my NEX-6, as suggested by the dpreview thread.

I used a fresh formated 16GB SanDisk card (UHS) and was able to take about 11 clips, each about 2 minutes, recorded one after another. Then battery was empty...

So, I assume it is the same with other "movie recording stops" issues: if possible format the card before starting the movie record session, whether it be one single long clip or multiple ones.

Of coures take care not to delete other files from the card,,,,

profile.country.sv_SE.title
Beta99
Visitor

This makes no sense, it's bizarre when Sony refuses to see there's a problem here.

Copied from DPR:

1. Overheating after 32 minutes at internal temp 33 °C

2. Overheating after 7:50 minutes at internal temp 28 °C

3. Overheating after 47 minutes internal temp >35 °C

My opinion is that it's a malfunction if the protection kicks in too fast and long before actually overheating. If the camera can record at over 35 °C without any problems why does it shut down at 28 °C? The electronics doesn't get damaged at 35 and probably closer to 90 °C.

I still don't understand why the number of clips are more important than the actual internal temperature? The problem now is that it is pointless to try to get the temperature down when the "shutdown protection" kicks in regardless of the temperature and you can't predict when the camera is going to shut down either.

Next time I will use the camera will it shut down at an internal temperature of 25°C or 50°C? That's impossible to know if you don't have access to the flawed overheating algorithm.

Now i feel forced to buy something else than a NEX because I want to be able to shoot clips longer than TWO minutes, that's a shame when the cameras obviously are capable of much longer clips without overheating.

Message was edited by: Sony99

profile.country.en_LV.title
MihkelT
Visitor

I have also a permanent overheating problem when filming with my NEX-5N. I can film max 10 minutes in a row (or taking shorter clips) and then the camera shuts down automatically. Has anyone a similar problem and what could help?

P.S. And the overheating happens also when filming at -5 degrees Celsius ... (outside temperature).

Message was edited by: MihkelT