Join now - be part of our community!

stopped down metering

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
gary.hunter
New

stopped down metering

Is there a way to use stopped down metering on an A65 camera?

I'd like the shutter speed to be set automatically depending on the light coming in through the lens, rather than having to set the shutter speed manually.

Can't see a way to do it.

Could something like this ever be part of a firmware update?

Tags (3)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.de_DE.title
cmosse
Contributor

Hello

actually the SLT-A99 (as well as other SLT) offer just this Auto Exposure even when using a non system lens (e.g. a old manual lens attached with a M42 adapter or a telescope).

Just use the A-mode and set the aperture on the optic/lens you are using. The camera´s meter will be active and a shutter speed will be set based on the metering. You can even select different metering mode (center weightened or spot). Please note however that metering accuracy might be lower than when using an Alpha system lens, as the camera can not use other information from the lens which it otherwise receives, such as focal lenght, focus distance, aperture size etc.)

Using the live view however this should not be difficult to compensate.

Kind Regards

Michael

Message was edited by: cmosse

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello and welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

On the A65, I believe that something of this nature is possible if the lens is equipped with a Focus Hold button. On the settings menu and 'Custom Page 1', if you choose 'D.O.F Preview' for the 'Focus Hold' button, this will set the Focus Hold button on the lens. When pressed, this will make the camera select the most appropriate aperture - which may be closer to the effect that you are describing above (as opposed to the shutter speed).

Thanks,

Simon

gary.hunter
New

Thanks I will see if the preview button helps any.

What I really am talking about is using the camera on a telescope or microscope where the "release w/o lens" is selected on.

I would like to have the camera select an appropriate shutter speed rather than me having to set the shutter speed manually. Of course the metering is fine, but no auto shutter speed setting slows you down.

Message was edited by: gary.hunter

gary.hunter
New

thank you very much. I can't believe it was that simple :slight_smile:

profile.country.de_DE.title
cmosse
Contributor

Hello

actually the SLT-A99 (as well as other SLT) offer just this Auto Exposure even when using a non system lens (e.g. a old manual lens attached with a M42 adapter or a telescope).

Just use the A-mode and set the aperture on the optic/lens you are using. The camera´s meter will be active and a shutter speed will be set based on the metering. You can even select different metering mode (center weightened or spot). Please note however that metering accuracy might be lower than when using an Alpha system lens, as the camera can not use other information from the lens which it otherwise receives, such as focal lenght, focus distance, aperture size etc.)

Using the live view however this should not be difficult to compensate.

Kind Regards

Michael

Message was edited by: cmosse