Join now - be part of our community!

Steady Shot on or off.

profile.country.GB.title
Papafixit
Explorer

Steady Shot on or off.

I do a lot of basketball shoots, these are stills. I pas the camera to catch the action, shutter is 640 - 1000 depneding upon the lighting in the sports halls. I have have heard that having steady shot switch on when panning can casue image problems. What is your advice should I have SS on or off for this type of shooting. Typical lens is 24-70.

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there,

Hopefully a community member will be able to help.

Best wishes,

M

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @Papafixit,

if you decrease the shutter speed far enough, you should achive clear and well defined images.

The steady shot though shouldn't cause any issues if you choose to activate it on top.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
ianpollen

I would leave SS on for the those focal lengths for all shooting. The only exception is if the camera is being used on a tripod, then turn it off.

Hi!

I know what you mean, for the basketball application I do not reccomend using a low shutter speed (i'd be up at 1/200th minimum for basketball) as suggested above.

I use the Sony 70-200mm f2.8 GM on the A7iii at weddings and experience a 'jello' effect from the IBIS when panning and stopping and releasing shutter at speed. There is litterally nano-seconds involved in that and it is only when i'm violently panning.

I would say for tracking players at a basket ball match you should be fine as you won't be whipping the camera around when panning. What I would do - memorise where IBIS/Steady Shot on/off is in the menu, take some photos when there and zoom in on the LCD on the camera to check if the image is satisfactory from motion blur. Check settings if not (shutter speed mainly).

As the 24-70mm isn't a massively long focal length you should be fine handheld without the steady shot on, luckily Sony's cameras are fantastic in low light with their high ISOs.

I hope this helps, good luck and have fun!

Many thanks,
Scott

Edited [personal details removed]