Join now - be part of our community!

Sony FE 70-300mm f4.5 - 5.6 - user thoughts

profile.country.GB.title
Ian5986

Sony FE 70-300mm f4.5 - 5.6 - user thoughts

I am considering this lens asI would like the extra reach over the 70-200 and the 100-400 is way out of my price range.

I would love to hear / see sample images from anyone on here using this lens and what they think of it.

I would be using it outside mainly for car racing, airshows and birds in flight.

Thanks,

Ian

12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.GB.title
Pascale_F

I'll see if I can find anyone with any sample photos or advice for you, Ian. Maybe someone else in the community can help in the meantime.

Thanks,

Pascale

profile.country.GB.title
Snowy55
Explorer

Hi Ian,

I have not had this lens for very long but here are some initial images I have taken. They are of a Tiger Moth. I have a similar interest in airshows. These are nothing special but may help your assessment. It is early days for me and I haven't had a chance to put it through its paces properly but my initial thoughts are it is a very good size when coupled with my A6500 and it focuses fast and quite reliably. I have used the Sony FE 70-200 F4 in the past with good results but agree the extra reach out to 300mm is nice to have. To me the camera/lens size factor is a big factor in my enjoyment. DSC02153-LDSC02170-LDSC02176-LDSC02182-LDSC02138-L

Hope this helps a bit.

Cheers

Snowy

profile.country.GB.title
Ian5986

Thank you Snowy, this is exactly the sort of feedback / images I was hoping for - as good as the 70-200 is I want something a little longer and am leaning toward the 70-300 so your images make it easier for me to decide.

I would love the 100-400 but as good as it is, it is just too expensive!

Not finding any used FE 70-300mm versions here in UK so saving for a new one..........bit of luck they may do a cashback closer to year end (living in hope).

profile.country.GB.title
Ian5986

Thank you all for the feedback, I have now purchased this lens as Sony are offering the cashback.

It is smaller than I expected and balances well on the A7iii as well as being fast to focus and quiet in use - it also delivers great IQ.

profile.country.GB.title
Snowy55
Explorer

That is great to hear Ian.

Cheers

Snowy

profile.country.RO.title
Vandraattila
Explorer

I have problems with it, but I do not know if it is a camera problem, (Sony Alpha 7) or of the obiective. Yesterday was the first time I have observed, it (is is new).  Using AF-s seems Ok, but with AF-c (also with sports preset, which uses also Af-c) the autofocus is very very slow (more seconds...) I have posted a question on this site about the problem, I have got no answer yet. 

profile.country.GB.title
Ian5986

I am planning on trying the 70-300 on my A7iii next week when we are off to Slimbridge (a bird sanctuary not too far from where we live) - will post how I got on after the fact...........crossing my fingers all works well as I am only taking the Sony kit.

profile.country.GB.title
Snowy55
Explorer

profile.country.RO.title
Vandraattila
Explorer

@Snowy55 wrote: