Join now - be part of our community!

Sony A7iii

profile.country.GB.title
shines01
New

Sony A7iii

I recently bought an A7iii and am having  problems  with low light photography.  I know it's not the lens as I've tried with different lenses and the same thing happens.  I get a brown banding across the image.  I've tried all sorts of different setttings and it seems to happen with all of them.  Is this a fault with the camera or is there something I can do to sort it?  

My problem is that I bought it in the UK and am away travelling until April.  I need the camera but am not near anywhere I can take it for repairs.Banding!!Banding!!

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Mick_D

Hi @shines01, welcome to the Community.

You don't mention camera settings or lighting conditions, but this sort of issue is more often than not a combination of certain light sources and the Silent Shutter setting on the a7iii.

Can you check and see if it's still happening with Silent Shutter (or EFCS – Electronic First Curtain Shutter) switched off? 

Cheers

Mick

profile.country.GB.title
shines01
New

Thank you!!! 

Yes, i think this was the problem.  I didn't mention settings because it happened on so many different settings.  But I've just read an article on the web that suggested one way to avoid it is to set the shutter speed to 1/125 and I looking back at previous photos I notice that although there is still some banding at that speed, it's much less noticeable. 

I've now tried turning off the silent shutter as you suggest and that does seem to sort it.  

So, glad I've found a way around it  - just sorry that I've lost several evenings worth of shots on the way!  The problem is that it doesn't show on the viewfinder, so you don't realise until you're looking a the photos later.  

Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
Mick_D

@shines01 That's a shame, losing so much work, but at least you have a solution now. That setting really doesn't have much practical use, so you can safely leave it off – or if you do need to shoot silently for some reason, use a 'clean' shutter speed.

Happy shooting!

Mick