Join now - be part of our community!

keyboard acting up after software repair

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Darbo25

keyboard acting up after software repair

Did a software repair due to constant pop ups and randomly opening to playstore to various apps that i have no interest in,  since then the keyboard will work fine one minute then decide it wants to write only in caps,  the delete button goes on strike and then everything else follows suit, only way around it is to open up keyboard settings,  deselect and reselect all options and start again,  this is only a temporary fix however. 

Please don't ask me to do another software repair because this is caused the issue and it takes forever,  but I will gladly take any other help given. 

Edit, no idea why the title now says chrome browser,  the issue effects everything that needs a keyboard.. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jonas
Master

I understand it's frustrating. Slightly_frowning_Face

I'm really sorry that I didn't mention that you should have turned off automatic updates for the Chrome application after you uninstalled updates for the app. If it's related to the app version and automatic updates are turned on in Google Play store the app will be updated to the latest version.

Start with uninstalling updates for the Chrome application. Go to Settings > Apps > Chrome > 3 dots > Uninstall updates.

Open up the Google Play store and search for "Chrome". The top alternative should be "Chrome Browser - Google", tap on it and you should be directed to the Chrome page in the Google Play store. Press the 3 dots in the top right corner > uncheck the box next to "Auto-update". Is it working now?

If not I would recommend that you try and download another browser in your phone. There is also a Chrome beta application that you can download from the Google Play store.

Keep me updated! Slightly_smiling_Face

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
profile.country.RO.title
_alexdon_
Expert
profile.country.GB.title
Darbo25

Thanks but no,  it doesn't just do it in chrome browser it does it regardless,  I've no idea how the subject was changed to what it says now but it's an issue with every site, I've had this tablet over a year and is been great,  this only started after i did a software repair. 

Jonas
Master

Hi @Darbo25, I'm sorry to hear about your tablet. Slightly_frowning_Face

I would recommend that you clear data for the Xperia keyboard, this will reset the settings you have previously made for the Xperia keyboard. To do that go to Settings > Apps > Xperia keyboard > Storage > Clear data. Is there any difference when you use the keyboard after the data has been cleared?

If you restored a backup or installed applications directly after the software repair can you please try and reboot your tablet in safe mode and see how the keyboard behaves here?

Let me know how it goes!

profile.country.GB.title
Darbo25

Thanks for the reply,  I've tried both suggestions and the same thing happens regardless,  it's a weird one. 

Jonas
Master

I'm sorry to hear that. Slightly_frowning_Face

Is there any update to the Xperia keyboard available in the Google Play store? If there are none could you please try with another keyboard application, for example Google keyboard which you can download from the Google Play store to see if you experiencing the same behaviour.

Please keep me updated and I will do my best to assist you! Slightly_smiling_Face

profile.country.GB.title
Darbo25

Thank-you, just downloaded Google keyboard, I'll see how I go with this for now.

profile.country.GB.title
Darbo25

Well that didn't last long, same problem with this keyboard too... Must be the chrome browser!

Thanks so much for your help, appreciated.

Jonas
Master

Thanks for getting back to me!

If it only happens in Chrome I would recommend that you uninstall updates for the Chrome application, or check if there is any update available in Google Play store.

To uninstall updates for the application go to Settings > Apps > Chrome > 3 dots > Uninstall updates. Remember to not update the application after you have uninstalled the updates in case the latest update for the Chrome application is the cause.

Let me know how it went! Slightly_smiling_Face

profile.country.GB.title
Darbo25

That seems to have done the trick,  thanks for your time Jonas.