Join now - be part of our community!

Steering wheel remote problem

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
joterry1049
Visitor

Steering wheel remote problem

Hi,

I have recently had to replace a Sony CDX-L410 in my Rover 25 when the CD player mechanics broke. The Rover has a couple of small paddles on the steering wheel which adjusted volume, changed tracks or radio stations, fast forwarded etc. I have purchased a used CDX-GT530UI which I have installed and which works fine, including with the IR remote, except the steering wheel remote does not operate the unit but does prevent the unit's volume control and track changer from working.Unplug the remote jack from the back and control is restored. The installation instructions for both units imply that the Rotary Commander RM X4S would normally be used as the remote control which is why I thought the Rover controls would work. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Drumzman
New

Hi joterry1049,

You're right, Sony's RMX-4S is normally what you would plug into the socket at the back of your stereo.  However you might be able to resolve this - it does depend on the car a lot though - but you require a couple of (third party, non Sony) adapter leads to make this work.  You need a 'steering wheel control adapter' for your make of car, and then you need a patch lead for the make of stereo you have (Sony here of course).

I've previously used leads like this from a company called 'Connects2' and found them to be very good.  Below is a link to their site that you can check out.  Although you should find the information you need here, I'd be inclined to give them a call too just to make absolutely sure of compatibility as some cars are notorious for changing their wiring specs!

Hope this helps!:smileyhappy:

http://www.connects2.co.uk/

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Drumzman
New

Hi joterry1049,

You're right, Sony's RMX-4S is normally what you would plug into the socket at the back of your stereo.  However you might be able to resolve this - it does depend on the car a lot though - but you require a couple of (third party, non Sony) adapter leads to make this work.  You need a 'steering wheel control adapter' for your make of car, and then you need a patch lead for the make of stereo you have (Sony here of course).

I've previously used leads like this from a company called 'Connects2' and found them to be very good.  Below is a link to their site that you can check out.  Although you should find the information you need here, I'd be inclined to give them a call too just to make absolutely sure of compatibility as some cars are notorious for changing their wiring specs!

Hope this helps!:smileyhappy:

http://www.connects2.co.uk/