Join now - be part of our community!

Sony WH-1000XM3 Muting in the Cold

profile.country.US.title
bugzy3188
Explorer

Sony WH-1000XM3 Muting in the Cold

Is there a way to turn off gesture control on the 1000XM3s? It barely works in optimal conditions and when standing outisde in cold weather they will consistently register swipes (even though nothing has touched the headphones), either turning volume up/down or skipping tracks and after about 1 minute they will mute as if I am holding my hand over the right ear. Any suggestions?

244 REPLIES 244
profile.country.SE.title
adrian_vg

Johane73; would you kindly connect back to this thread when you hear about the Swedish board replacement fix is on?

Thanks.
profile.country.SE.title
johane73

@adrian_vg wrote:
Johane73; would you kindly connect back to this thread when you hear about the Swedish board replacement fix is on?

Thanks.

Of course, as soon as I hear from them I'll let you all know.

profile.country.GB.title
andrew_ashby

I am also experiencing this issue in the UK and would also agree that they are not operating within spec' as on two occasions I have noticed it at around 2-3C outside whilst commuting.

FWIW, I suspect this could be an issue related to 'temperature change' and possibly associated humidity change / condensation in the capacitive parts of the touch sensitive circuitry.

Anyway - whatever, it needs fixing please Sony.

profile.country.GB.title
andrew_ashby

Hi mruddo,

D'you mind letting me know who/where you have contacted Sony in the UK on this, as I would like to do the same, on this issue and the other I have posted re' not being able to adjust the equaliser in 'Priority on Sound Quality' mode?

Thanks

Andrew.

profile.country.GB.title
mruddo

Hi Andrew - sorry for the delay...

The main contact name is Mary. We have been conversing via Twitter DM and the Sony Support emails. (I've also had responses from a couple of other individuals.)

Frustratingly, as of yesterday, there's still no acknowledgement from Sony to me that a (hardware) fix even exists.

profile.country.BR.title
NanBueno
Explorer

I just had a "funny"conversation with the sony asssitent in Canada. Unbelievieble!

Matt

Thank you for contacting Sony Audio Chat support. My name is Matt. I’ll be assisting you today.

12:37:59 PM

Me

Hi Matt

12:38:09 PM

Matt

I hope you're doing great.

12:38:12 PM

Me

I am fine. I have a problem with my WH-1000XM3 phone. In a cold weather condition the headphone glitches.

12:39:40 PM

I am having the exactly the same problem as indicated below.

12:40:31 PM

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/portable-audio/sony-wh-1000xm3-muting-in-the-cold/td-p/2534059

12:40:32 PM

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2019/1/14/18181200/sony-wh-1000xm3-headphones-cold-weather-b...

12:40:57 PM

Matt

The touch sensor control panel of your WH-1000XM3 headphones may malfunction, or display erratic behavior, if you quickly move to a cold environment. Erratic behavior may include the following:

Music playback may change tracks by itself.
Headphones may switch to Quick Attention Mode and the sound may decrease.
If you experience these symptoms, you can recalibrate the touch sensor by restarting (power cycling) the headphones. Press the power button to turn the headphones off, then turn the headphones back on again. You may need to repeat this multiple times until the earcup reaches ambient outside temperature.

12:41:17 PM

Me

Do you have any information if Sony will fix the issue? Otherwise I will return it

12:42:03 PM

Matt

I'd like to inform you that we do not have an known issues with the headphones. As this is a normal behavior with the headphones.

12:43:40 PM

I hope we haven't lost you. Please respond on the chat to confirm we're still connected.

12:45:39 PM

Me

I did not understand.

12:46:35 PM

Is it a normal behavior? I had the M2 and this problem was not there.

12:47:32 PM

Matt

Yes, we need to turn off the headphones to get it back to normal temperature.

12:47:41 PM

This problem occurs only when moving from warm to cold temperature, not when moving from cold to warm.

12:47:59 PM

Me

5 or 6 times per day?

12:48:04 PM

Yes I know

12:48:10 PM

Matt

In that case, you can definitely return the headphones. As the headphones are not meeting your requirements.

12:48:44 PM

Me

Ok. Thank you.

12:49:13 PM

Matt

It was a pleasure assisting you today. Thank you for contacting Sony Chat Support. Have a good time.

12:50:05 PM

Top of Form

Bottom of Form

profile.country.GB.title
quezak
Explorer

@NanBueno wrote:

I just had a "funny"conversation with the sony asssitent in Canada. Unbelievieble!

12:42:03 PM

Matt

I'd like to inform you that we do not have an known issues with the headphones. As this is a normal behavior with the headphones.

Whaaaaaat? First, they release an official statement about this, now the support says there are no known issues? This is beyond ridiculous xD

profile.country.CA.title
Dmoney21
Explorer

Like I said, I'll believe it when I see it. What I believe now is that Sony has literally left us in the COLD on this.

Return them or deal with the flaw. I've had to deal with the flaw because I'm passed my return date.

profile.country.GB.title
mruddo

Whaaaaaat? First, they release an official statement about this, now the support says there are no known issues? This is beyond ridiculous xD

This is indeed beyond ridiculous... I'm increasingly frustrated about it here in the UK too. When I asked about the fix, they completely ignore the question, and respond with advice to factory reset the device (again). So I got back to them, and asked again, pointing out my frustration at the question being completely ignored.

Nothing more from them yet - will have to wait and see I guess.

I still have a few more days before I have to make a final decision about returning them (or not). Their handling of the situation isn't filling me with confidence!

profile.country.GB.title
andrew_ashby

Hi,

Many thanks for the update. I will kick off a similar discussion and hopefully we will get the support that this issue deserves - it would be a shame to have to go and burst Sony's 'best n/c product in the universe' bubble in the broader community, over something fixable like this. ......

Rgds

A.