Join now - be part of our community!

Connecting powered sub to DSX-300BTX [?]

profile.country.en_GB.title
fozziebox
Visitor

Connecting powered sub to DSX-300BTX [?]

Hi guys,

I hav bought a Kenwood KSC-SW01 powered subwoofer to connect to my Sony DSX-300BTX.

The sub instructions say to connect the power to the battery but can i add it to the yellow cable at the back of the stereo for power?

Cheers,

Steven

Tags (2)
1 REPLY 1
profile.country.en_GB.title
Drumzman
New

Hi Steven,

I wouldn't recommend this - this is not really safe.  Typically, the permanent supply yellow wire to a car stereo is only designed to provide a few amps of power .... an active subwoofer will usually require a fair bit more power to run it properly.

At best, if you did this you'd probably find that the sub would keep cutting out ... at worst it would most likely keep blowing the fuse on the yellow supply wire (and even worse if the fuse value was too high, some physical overheating of the wire and physical damage could result!)

Even though it's a bit more work, connecting your sub directly to the battery as recommended using the right gauge cable (and correctly fused at the car battery end of the cable) is definitely the best plan - it's safe, and besides you will get the performance from the sub that you've paid for.

Cheers, hope this helps.