Join now - be part of our community!

Windows License with VAIO pre-installed and recovery kit

Ritxie
Visitor

Windows License with VAIO pre-installed and recovery kit

Hi Everybody and congratulations for the forum and this site.

I have just bought my VGN-AR21B some days ago.
I was surpised by seeing that Windows CDs were not included. However, a hidden partition of the HD seems to content all the necessaries Windows resources.

First question (I guess is easy):
How (where) can I get the Windows XP Media Center Edition license (the 25 digits)?

Second question:
I am trying to create the recovery kit using one DVD+R DL.
I have tried twice and the process always aborts (first one at 36% and second one at 18% of the total process). My feeling is the DVD unit seems to be hung...has someone been experiencing problems with AR2B writting DVDs + R DL in general or creating the recovery kit specifically?

Thank you very much in advance for your help.
Ritxie

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Ritxie and welcome to Club Vaio.

You should find your unique MCE license number on a sticker on the base of your Vaio.

Users do occasionally have problems burning the Recovery Discs on DL discs. Make sure you have the latest firmware for your drive installed - I know your Vaio is new but the software may not be completely up to date. There is a fimware update dated in October - you can find it HERE

I would burn two DVD+R discs (or 2 X DVD-R) if you can't get the DL discs to work - not an ideal solution but at least you will have the recovery software. You could always phone VAIO-LINK SUPPORT to see if they have any advice.

If you have any further queries, please post in the Notebooks Section - we try to keep this area free for Product Reviews.

:wink:

profile.country.ES.title
fjss6666
New

No se si entiendes español.
Yo tengo un vgn-ar21b y me ha pasado lo mismo.
Yo estropeé 5 dvd's, todos +r y llamé a vaio-link y me dijeron que recuperara el sistema, lo hice y luego solamente me quedaba un dvd +r,
así que probé con -r funcionó.
Todavía no se si funciona con +r.

Otra cosa, en la publicidad venía que el ordenador tenía entrada A/V yo no la tengo y tu?

No me funciona el space.scr y a ti?

Saludos colega de ordenador.