Join now - be part of our community!

VGC-V3S C:Drive nearly full despite deleting stuff

ScratchingHare
Visitor

VGC-V3S C:Drive nearly full despite deleting stuff

I've had this problem for a while now - it is driving me nuts. My C: drive seems to fill up with something I can't identify. I have deleted loads of stuff but it makes no difference to the space available. (I've run cCLeaner, cleaned the disk and all the other obvious things)My documents automatically backup to 😧 drive. Have I got a loop somewhere that I need to break...can anybody enlighten me?

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi ScratchingHare and welcome to the forum.

System restore may be the culprit. Assuming that you are confident you don’t need to return to a past restore point then clear all but the last restore point.

Right click the C drive in My Computer and select properties. On the window that opens, on the General tab, click ‘Disk Cleanup’.

On the next window click the ‘More Options’ tab and under ‘System Restore’ click ‘Clean up..’

This will delete all but the most recent restore point and free up disk space.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
ScratchingHare
Visitor

have tried both these and there is no effect whatsoever. I'm down to 2gb on a 27gb drive & I only use typical office software. Do I need to wipe the drive and reintall? Or should I try to increase the size of the partition?

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi ScratchingHare,

You say that your documents automatically back up to the D drive but have you moved the My Documents folder to the D drive? Have a look here for details of how to do this.

If your My Documents folder is already on the D drive then I suggest that you investigate all the folders on the C drive to try and find what is using all that space.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
fidsdids
Visitor

I suggest you to run a freeware windirstat (http://windirstat.info) which lets you know about your disk usage and will allow you to see which programs or files are eating ur disk space.

Cheers,

FidoDiDo

ChalkyWhite71
Visitor

Good call! I was about to suggest the same thing with Treesize Pro, but that's not freeware.

It's not necessarily large files, but could be hundreds of tiny log files or similar clogging the drive up. Once you've found the culprit it'd probably be worth running a defrag.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Hehe often in this position - specially when I've got a few programs from freeview on there.

Usually I pop them on the external drive until I'm ready to delete them.

ScratchingHare
Visitor

Tried downloading it and it disappeared into a Bermuda like black hole. Via another route discovered windows installer was main culprit. Restored C: drive with system restore but got BSOD by running Norton full scan....now I'm super fed up. (I had found 10gb of space after restoring my software etc)

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Restored C: drive with system restore but got BSOD by running Norton full scan....now I'm super fed up.

Can I suggest that you ditch Norton and use a friendlier and less resource hogging program such as AVG? Even if you have licence to run with Norton it will be worth it!!

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat