Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio, Vista, and support

vjj
Visitor

Vaio, Vista, and support

Oh, where's the propper support :thinking:
All drivers on Drivers&Download pages are at least 2 years old.
No update at all.
No drivers for Vista betas - am I to use the new and better Windows with crippled Vaio without soft-buttons, power management, ... :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:
vjj

8 REPLIES 8
William
Visitor

I guess when new models of Vaio's are supplied with Vista then Sony will supply the drivers for those machines.

Sony do not support, or offer support for, changes of operating system

profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

I don't know what you guys have.

Sony offers best support. It's awarded.:smileylaugh: :laughing: :laughing:

I'm asking me how much did they pay to get the sticker at VAIO-Link:smileyshhh:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

ROFLMFAO Seb

They don't like beta software over at Sony, shame as they really should have people testing their software before release!

profile.country.GB.title
clash-city-rocker

Sony offer the WORST support in the industry, not just Vaio, Walkman, and consumer electronics.

I used to be a dedicated Sony customer, but after being stuffed by Sony on my FS-295XP, and buggy display drivers, which they can't be bothered to update, and a Sony Walkman NW-A3000 which is bordering on unusable, I won't be a future Sony customer.

As for Vista, I am running it here, the default Microsoft drivers work, no Aero interface, and the HD Audio is broken by default (use Realtek XP driver), and the modem is not detected (but XP driver works fine).

Shame Sony don't offer beta drivers, and like to force users to upgrade to the newer laptop to get a newer OS,

Migs
Visitor

Maybe it sounds weird but I don't realy understand this problem. Most drivers wich come with the Vaio ere 3rd party drivers with a Vaio flavour on it.

Example: My Vaio FE11M comes with an intel wireless lan 3945ABG chip with vaio drivers. Instead I can could use Intel generic drivers wich can be found on intel support.

This goes the same with nvidia's Goforce series. Look at http://www.laptopvideo2go.com for more info.

William
Visitor

Sony offer the WORST support in the industry, not just Vaio, Walkman, and consumer electronics.

I used to be a dedicated Sony customer, but after being stuffed by Sony on my FS-295XP, and buggy display drivers, which they can't be bothered to update, and a Sony Walkman NW-A3000 which is bordering on unusable, I won't be a future Sony customer.

As for Vista, I am running it here, the default Microsoft drivers work, no Aero interface, and the HD Audio is broken by default (use Realtek XP driver), and the modem is not detected (but XP driver works fine).

Shame Sony don't offer beta drivers, and like to force users to upgrade to the newer laptop to get a newer OS,

Can you really expect Sony to offer support for every Vaio in warranty if the owner has changed the operating system or components such as CPU or hard drive?

If you care to change the OS and have problems the first thing they will tell you to do is a full restore.

If you bought a car from Ford and changed the engine, what would they tell you if you took it back under warranty because it won't start?

It seems logical to me that Sony is not publishing Beta Vista drivers for computers that normally run fine with the supplied OS.

As you mention the Microsoft default drivers work OK'ish.

tipsy
Visitor

Hi Migs

The thing is: if there's something called support, it should really SUPPORT. Of course i can get the drivers I need elsewhere but I shouldn't have to go by myself to get them. For that, i would have bought a standard laptop, not an overpriced one. When you buy a "brand", you expect something else. You pay that extra that you don't really get at Sony.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Maybe going to a 3rd party is best if you have changed your OS