Join now - be part of our community!

vaio - upgrade

dani2xll
Visitor

vaio - upgrade

I have a vaio VGN-C1S and have a few questions.

I have 100gb hdd. Is it possible to upgrade this and by how much gigs and roughly the cost in the UK. Also have 1gb ddr2 sdram. It can be upgraded to 2gb. Again how much would this cost and best place to get it done. Is it possible to add bluetooth within the hardware?

And last I have upgraded to Vista prior to which microsoft windows media edition used to give me approx 3-3.5 hours on battery. Now i only get 2hours with Vista. I remember the screen used to dim slightly when running on battery but this option doesnt seem to exist on Vista even though i have the setting set to vaio battery optimised.

Many thanks, i have only had the laptop around 4 months and dont intend buying again until maybe 3 years or so. My last tosh labtop lasted me 6 years.

4 REPLIES 4
HITS-UK
Visitor

To address your hardware upgrade issues. If there is no 'official' Sony upgrade then don't do anything until your warranty has expired. Even the OS will need to be put back to the shipped version, UNLESS Sony has issued an upgrade.

Once the hardware has gone beyond warranty, then you may be able to upgrade memory and drive using one of the on line services, but beware that laptop upgrades are not for the feint hearted and if you are not technically astute, you may end up bricking your laptop permanently.

External drives are a better option. Memory may be obtained from Crucial if they have it in stock for your system

DW

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi DW - it is nice to hear from you again.

DW is quite right about the warranty but (practically) as long as you keep the old memory modules, you can always put them back if necessary.

As your model has 2 X 512MB modules and only one two slots, you will need to buy 2 X 1024MB modules. These will cost £61.09 for both at Crucial: -

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/listparts.aspx?model=VAIO%20VGN-C1S

There is a guide here of how to upgrade your memory for your model: -

http://support.vaio.sony.co.uk/tutorials/memory/memory.asp?m=2411&site=voe_en_GB_cons

Leave the hard disc or use an external USB drive until your warranty expires as this will involve major surgery.

:wink:

dani2xll
Visitor

many thanks to you both. I was trying to get my 30gigs of music on my laptop but what with my d drive only having 25gig free and c drive 15gig, it would mean splitting the library and not leaving much room for any additionals. So i will continue to use my ipod as my music library and my external drive as the backup music facility. I no the speakers are not up to much on the vaio but it would have been nice to listen to my music via it. Thanks for the upgrade advice and it seems no way to maximum the battery facility as it was prior to vista installation.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

it seems no way to maximum the battery facility as it was prior to vista installation.

I'm afraid this is just another of the numerous benefits of Vista!!!!!

:slight_frown: