Join now - be part of our community!

Network adapter / Local area connection intermittently disappearing

profile.country.en_GB.title
kate_ellen
Visitor

Network adapter / Local area connection intermittently disappearing

Hi,

I have recently moved into some temporary accommodation which requires me to use an ethernet cable to connect to the internet. (For some time I have been using Wireless internet at home which works fine. But I have been able to connect to the internet using an ethernet cable before with no problems).

When I first tried to connect to the internet here my laptop did not recognise the connection at all. I had the ethernet cable plugged in and there was no recognition that any internet was available. In network and sharing centre there did not appear to be a local area connection. And in device manager under network adapters I only had my wireless network adapter. After restarting the computer a few times the 'local area connection' reappeared and in device manager I could see 'Marvell Yukon 88E8036 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller' as well as the wireless network adapter. I could now connect to the internet. However, the adapter and 'local area connection' have been intermittently disappearing when I wake my computer from sleep / turn it on. I seem to be able to make them reappear by restarting the computer several times, enabling/disabling wireless, and starting the computer in safe mode with networking. I can't see a pattern in what makes them reappear though!

I have also gone into device manager, network adapters, right clicked on 'Marvell Yukon 88E8036 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller', properties, power management tab. Here I have unticked the box that says "allow computer to turn off this device to save power". This has not altered the problem.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Kate

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Kate,

What model Vaio do you have?

Modelname.png

Have you checked for an updated Atheros driver? Are your Windows Updates bang up to date?

Sadly, you are not alone with internet connection difficulties.  This does seem to be a problem with Windows 7 where internet is randomly lost.

:slight_frown:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kate_ellen
Visitor

Sorry forgot to mention, this is a VGN-FZ11L and it's windows vista. I've had it for 3 years and not had this kind of problem before.

As far as I am aware everything is up to date. I haven't checked for the updated atheros driver, how would I do that?

Kate