Join now - be part of our community!

Installing a hard drive in my PCV-RX514

profile.country.en_GB.title
srednaus
Visitor

Installing a hard drive in my PCV-RX514

I have just installed a WD Caviar Blue drive in my PCV-RX514 as the master drive while keeping the original Seagate drive as the slave.

I have configured the drive jumper settings correctly for both drives and I have checked that the BIOS knows that the new disk is the master.  However, when attempting to boot up (from cold) the system starts from the slave disk ather than the master.  If I do a warm restart, it selects the master to boot from.

I would like the system to reliably boot from the master from either cold boot or warm restart.

I have noticed that spin-up time for the new master disk is slower than the older slave disk and think that this may be the problem.

Is there any method by which I can fix this?

I'd rather not disconnect the slave as I would like to use the storage.

Kind Regards,

J

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi srednaus,

I assume that the original drive now drive 😧 still has the original operating system and is therefore a bootable drive. Have you checked that drive C: is set as the default device in System Configuration?

To check this click start and type msconfig in the search field. Select the result and click on the Boot tab. Click on drive C: and (if available) click ‘Set as default’.

Another alternative would be format the slave (D:) so that it is no longer recognised as a boot drive.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat