Join now - be part of our community!

How to switch off non-responding laptop

profile.country.en_GB.title
mathoma3192
Visitor

How to switch off non-responding laptop

Vaio laptop stopped responding to mouse & keyboard; how do I switch off?

The powerlight is still on, but the screen has now gone blank.  Pressing the power button doesn't do anything.

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi mathoma and welcome.

Try holding down the power button for a few seconds. If this doesn't work then disconnect the AC power and then remover the battery.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
mathoma3192
Visitor

REmotely connected to my laptop, shut down firefox and selected 'shutdown'.  It has got as far as 'Logging off...' (Vista) and seems to be stuck again. Still no response when pressing any keys or power button.  How do I switch it off ?

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Have you tried my above suggestions?

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
mathoma3192
Visitor

Yes, I disconnected the power cable and then removed the battery.  The laptop is now off. Thanks. Is is likely to start up again properly when I reconnect the battery and power supply ?

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

It is impossible to say whether the machine will start normally as this is dependent on what caused the freeze.

That said it is my experience that, in most circumstances, it was a minor glitch and the machine boots normally.

As shutdown was forced you may be prompted to start normally or in safe mode. I normally choose normal boot in the first instance.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
mathoma3192
Visitor

Thanks for your advice. I haven't switched the laptop on again yet, but I'm less anxious about it now