Join now - be part of our community!

GAGGING for help! Nice VAIO blu ray desktop!

GlynIngram
Visitor

GAGGING for help! Nice VAIO blu ray desktop!

Help!

I own a Windows Vaio desktop PC. It's very nice and had it about 2 years. Over that period, I've done a complete reinstallation using the F10 key thingy about 2 or 3 times for various reasons. Anyway, I have two problems...

1. WinDVD no longer works to play Blu Ray DVDs. It just won't recognise the Blu Ray. No matter what you do. It has given me grief in the past about keys etc but nowadays, since the latest reboot, it just sits there whirring a bit. It plays normal DVDs fine. Why?

2. More worryingly, the PC has now taken to shutting itself down from time to time; before it does so, it freezes and blotches and goes all weird. Red fills the screen followed by strange green patterns and basically, the computer just f---ks up badly. It takes ages to sort; Windows says its recovering etc and its just a mare. I did a HARDWARE CHECK thingy using the F10 option but no faults were found. So, once again, I had to do a reboot. Any ideas what's going on?

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

What model Vaio do you have?

Are you sure you have updated WinDVD to the latest version following the last recovery? You probably have to install several updates to be able to play modern Blu-Ray discs.

It is impossible to be exact but your other problems could be caused by driver conflicts. Again have you updated all drivers following the last recovery?

Recovery to factory settings becomes less effective as the original system becomes older. I presume you are using Vista? Have you applied all the Vista updates and Service Packs?

:thinking: