Join now - be part of our community!

Fn button with Vista [rtm]

OzBoz
Visitor

Fn button with Vista [rtm]

First the positive part :wink: I installed the RTM version of Vista yesterday and I'm truly amazed about how smooth it runs on my Sony VGN-SZ2XP/C just awesome. After installing Vista it downloaded some Sony drivers and everything runs smooth. Didn't test the build in cam yet but I don't like cams anyway.

I know this version ain't for sale yet but couldn't wait till January. So trying it in combination with the Office 2007 beta and some other applications.

Since it will be released about 30th of November for businesses I was wondering if Sony would come up with drivers for the one thing that will annoy every person and give you a headache as a bonus.

The Fn key doesn't work. So you have to sit in front of a terrible bright screen, getting a nice taint if you're one of the few salary-slaves that work for a boss that really likes updates and expensive laptops :wink:

I do get something on my screen pressing the Fn button but that's with a big workaround and although it works for sound, it doesn't work for the brightness. Since this problem is reported a lot by beta testers from RC1+2 I was expecting it would have been solved by now.

Understand my correctly, I know this piece of software isn't on the market yet. I know it's my own risk I try it. But I love the good looks of Vista RTM which suit the looks of my precious Vaio :slight_smile:

Besides the Fn button it really works like a charm. In the meanwhile I use powerstrip to reduce the brightness a little bit, not a real solution since it causes less image quality.

So, what's my question.. well.. I just wonder when there will be a Vista compatible driver for that tiny button. Would make my life complete and even a in-house beta driver would suit me.

Kind regards,

Oscar

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

We can only sit back and see what happens.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi OzBoz and welcome to the forum.

Have a look at this thread, in particular the post by gudus – does this help?

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
OzBoz
Visitor

Have a look at this thread, in particular the post by gudus � does this help?

That was a thread I found using the search. I did the things gudus said and that helped a bit. Well, I do get a brightness overlay when I know press the Fn-F5 but it doesn't work. I only see one block. Don't know how to explain, but I can't get the stripes into blockes or otherwise. It says my brightness is lowest level. But that's not correct. It's the brightest.

For the volume part, it does work. But Volume ain't a problem since there are other ways to change it. The strange thing is, looking at the help from Vista. Windows-buttton+x should give you mobility center things. Including brightness. But that's where I think it goes wrong. No brightness overthere.I can change volume, wifi, beamer, external display etc. but no brightness. And think that has to do with the Sony drivers who get installed while updating Vista first time. Like they are not complete. I've looked a lot for a solution on the net (don't like asking things). But for now I don't think there's a decent solution. So I'm afraid the 'sit back and wait' is in place :slight_smile: Thing that worries me is that after about 6 months and a rtm version it still doesn't work and it would feel nice knowing that Sony is aware of the problem and working on it.

philfree
Visitor

I don't know if it works for all Vaio but work on my TX3. I just downloaded Vaio Utilities for my TX3 on vaio-link and installed Vaio Event Service just by double-clicking setup.exe (no change in compatibility mode or anything). Everything works like on XP, volume, mute, screen brightness, all multimedia buttons on my TX3 (eject, fast dorward, play, pause,etc...).

ayu61200
Visitor

I'm downloading this drivers, I'll let you know wether they can be installed on a FE11 series. Thanks.

Edit: The TX3 drivers didn't work out. The result is exactly the same - The Fn keys do not work, the OSD pops up but I can only go up and down one block. I guess it does work on the TX3 but not with FE series... The Sony Alps pointing device works fine despite the nags Vista shows. It's blocked at starup but if you run it, it works fine. Only the Fn keys and advanced power managements to be able to adjust the brightness of the screen are left to get working...

Sorry for the crosspost.

philfree
Visitor

Just realized that prior to installing event service, I had installed SonyUtils DLL, Sony Shared Library and Setting Utility Series. Event Service did the trick but you may need to install the others as well. Start with Event Service and install the others one by one until it works. I think it worked right after installation without rebooting so you can really see if you need aything else beyond Event Service. Good luck.

ayu61200
Visitor

Hi Philfree,

No luck so far. Tried doing exactly what you told me, and even restarting it's always the same; I can only go up or down one block with the screen bightness. On top of this, when I get into the advanced power saving dialogues (to try to lower the brighness of the screen from there) there's always a DLL library failure and can't get to change the screen's brightness.

I'll have to stick and wait until Sony decides to release the drivers.

Merci beaucup from Spain anyway.

philfree
Visitor

de nada

profile.country.GB.title
clash-city-rocker

Also downloaded my legitimate Vista RTM build this evening (from MSDN), same problems are everyone else.

Not able to change display brightness
Function keys not working
Alps touchpad issues.

Please Sony, let us help you beta test these, and ensure that when Vista hits mass market, you are ready.

Looking at the state of Walkman, Vaio and Playstaion divisions, you need all the help you can get right now... Annoying your customer by withholding drivers simply makes matters worse..