Join now - be part of our community!

DVD-Drive doesn't recognize the right format DVD

tychowesselius
Visitor

DVD-Drive doesn't recognize the right format DVD

Hi,

I've bought an VGN-FZ21M notbook wich has a Matshiba BD-CMB UJ-120 drive. But when I wanted to burn a DVD for the first time it didn't recognise my DVD+RW disc as a rewritable disc but as a DVD-ROM. There is nothing wrong with the playback. I tried a disc from a different brand but still the same result: my burningsoftware and Vista (when I try to format or erase the disc with right mouse click in my computer) tells me that the disc is not writable. Both discs worked fine in my other computer so it's the drive that doesn't recognise the disc properly. I tried different burningsoftware also and tried to re-install the drivers for the drive. Nothing helps. Is this a hardware problem or is there another way to solve this? Thanks in advance.

Tycho

3 REPLIES 3
GossenRuda
Visitor

Hi, I'm having problems too with the very same Vaio model. My drive suddenly disapeared from my system - it's totally dead allthough it spins up but nothing happens at all. No program, the OS, nor the hardware diagnostics prog sees it, and I bought my VAIO 3 days ago!

😞

Is it a common problem?

/Jörgen

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi and welcome.

Look in Device Manager - are there any yellow warnings against your drive? If so, double-click on it and tell us the error code shown.

:thinking:

tychowesselius
Visitor

Hi,
No it says that the device is working properly. I tried 3 different brands of RW discs now but not one is recognised as (re)writable. This is very frustrating. The drive does recognise a DVD+R and writes to it. What could be the problem?

Tycho