Join now - be part of our community!

DOES THE VGX-XL301 MBD SUPPORT SATA 3.0 Gbps MODE?

Goatman
Visitor

DOES THE VGX-XL301 MBD SUPPORT SATA 3.0 Gbps MODE?

I'm new to the forum and this is my first post - hello everybody!
I have a question:
I'm about to upgrade the Hard Drive in my VGX-XL301 to a Samsung 500Gb HD501LJ. This drive supports SATA 3.0 Gbps mode, but I can't find out whether the motherboard in the VGX-XL301 will work in this mode, or whether I need to jumper the HDD down to 1.5 mode.
I hope somebody out there can help . . .
Thanks
- Mike

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
lyapple
New

I hope somebody out there can help . . .
Thanks

Hi Mike, I'm sure someone will be able to help you but in the meantime I'm the welcome wagon! :slight_smile: Glad to have you with us.

MattWilson
Visitor

First thing to do is to see what SATA controller you have.

Vista:

1a (Vista Only)Start -> Type "Device Manager" and hit enter.

1b (XP) Start -> Right-Click on "My Computer" and click Properties. On one of the tabs is a device manager button. Press it!

2 In device manager expand the "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" tab.

3 On the list that drops down find one with "serial ATA" in the name and copy it down onto your post and then we can research its capibilities.

Goatman
Visitor

Hi Matt,
Thanks for your offer of help.
I can't see a "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" tab.
But I can see "Storage Controllers" which shows:
"INTEL(R) 82801HR/HH/HO SATA RAID Controller".
Does this tell you anything?
Thanks
- Mike

MattWilson
Visitor

From what i can find about it, it only supports the original sata configuration ie. the 1.5GB/s. Here is a list of some of the capabilities of the controller but this doesn't actually tell you the information you want to know!

Here is a website that basically says you can use a SATA II hard drive even if it is SATA I. I would say that if you want to buy a SATA II hard disk do it and if it doesn't work then you can change it back to a SATA drive (Don't really know if this works on all drive so would be worth shopping around).

Good Luck :slight_smile:

Goatman
Visitor

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your help. The drive I'm fitting (Samsung HD501LJ) ships as SATA II (3Gb), and to step it down to SATA (1.5GB) is just a matter of fitting a jumper.
The only thing I'm not sure about is what symptom I'll get if I fit the drive unjumpered as SATAII 3Gb and the controller only Supports SATA 1.5Gb.
I'll let you know what happens!
Thanks again
- Mike

MattWilson
Visitor

Please do, it will be nice to know what it can really do.

Good Luck :slight_smile:

Goatman
Visitor

Hi Matt (and anybody else who may be interested):
I've now replaced the original 250Gb Seagate Barracuda in my VGX-XL301 with a 500Gb Samsung HD501LJ. Booted from the VAIO Recovery DVD's which I created when I first installed the system. No need to jumper the drive, it recognised it straight away and works fine in SATA II "out of the box" mode.
Result: More than doubled the useable storage space whilst still usng just one drive. A bonus is that the Samsung is virtually silent. For a Living Room PC, that's a major plus - the original Seagate was noticeably "clicky" when seeking. I'm delighted with the result, and recommend this upgrade to anybody. The HD501LJ is currently selling for under £70 (www.aria.co.uk). Bargain upgrade!
Next job is to pick up a 2Gb USB Memory Stick (currently selling for about £12 - can you believe how cheap these things are now?) and use it to Ready Boost Vista.
I've finally found the perfect Living Room PC!
- Mike

MattWilson
Visitor

Glad to here it all worked out well.

Not all USB sticks are quick enough for readyboost so be careful. You really need the ones with 13Mb/s or more write rate not the standard 900Kb but these are more expensive. Check these out: Is supposedly Readyboost compatible