Join now - be part of our community!

Can't Run Any Programm

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
mimclel
Visitor

Can't Run Any Programm

Help!  I've just got a new Sony Vaio laptop (VPC-EC3X) and was busy installing software on it.  I downloaded Norton System Works and, when I tried to run it, nothing happened.  Now, whenever I try to run anything, including the shortcuts on the desktop, I get a message asking me whether I want to Run or Save the file, I click Run and then get the same message - again and again.  Can anyone advise how I can resolve this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi mimclel,

it's more than likely your antivirus or Norton that's causing that System Restore error..

As your vaio's new you may as well do a complete system recovery that probably what they'll do at the Sony centre anyway..

To do system recovery start your vaio and when you see the vaio logo press the F10 key repeatedly this should start the recovery process..

Bear in mind that this will delete everything on your Vaio's HDD and then restore the Sony supplied windows operating system and pre-installed applications..:smileywink:

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi mimclel,

welcome to Questions & Answers..:smileyhappy:

Have tried booting into safe mode and running a system restore to a point before you installed Norton System works.?

To Boot into safe mode start your vaio and when you see the Vaio logo press the F8 key repeatedly..

Here is a link to a guide on using system restore should you need it: System Restore

mimclel
Visitor

Hi Thalamus,

Yes, I've tried that - it comes up with an error message telling me that System Restore could not start.  Think I'm going to have to take it to a Sony Centre :slight_frown:

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi mimclel,

it's more than likely your antivirus or Norton that's causing that System Restore error..

As your vaio's new you may as well do a complete system recovery that probably what they'll do at the Sony centre anyway..

To do system recovery start your vaio and when you see the vaio logo press the F10 key repeatedly this should start the recovery process..

Bear in mind that this will delete everything on your Vaio's HDD and then restore the Sony supplied windows operating system and pre-installed applications..:smileywink:

mimclel
Visitor

Hi Thalamus,

Thanks for all your help - I phoned the local Sony  Centre and they weren't interested, si I either phonr the Sony Support line or try your suggestion.  So, if I go with your suggestion I will end up with the system that was as it was when it was sent to me, with Windows 7 and a single physical disc partitioned into two logical drives - is that right? If so, I've nothing to lose

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

So, if I go with your suggestion I will end up with the system that was as it was when it was sent to me, with Windows 7 and a single physical disc partitioned into two logical drives - is that right? 

Yes running the vaio recovery utiltity will recover your vaio to the as new state, it's probably your easiest option..