Join now - be part of our community!

Backlight Failure - VGN-SZ2M/B

profile.country.GB.title
Mightfly
Explorer

Backlight Failure - VGN-SZ2M/B

The backlight has failed on my VGN-SZ2M/B after less than one month of use. I registered a case on www,vaio-link.com but am being ignored. I tried the telephone support and went through the usual list of mind numbing automated questions - only to be told that the warranty has expired and that I need to call a premium rate number.

I was warned about Sony's poor after sale support these days, and not to buy a Vaio. I should have listened more to such good advice.

Does anyone have any suggestions about getting Sony to take responsibility for faulty items that they sell? Or are they spending all their time running around like blue-xxxxx flies trying to replace batteries?

13 REPLIES 13
profile.country.GB.title
Mightfly
Explorer

I think the moral here is don't expect too much action around Christmas.

The delivery log accessed from the 'repair status' section is completely fictitious, unless it refers to delivering an empty cardboard box halfway across Europe.

It is all complete madness and truly in keeping with the spirit of the pantomime season.

I have a failing in that I like to see the best in people and organisations. Although I have mentioned this before, I can now understand why people say that Sony customer service is really poor.

Is it just the dinosaur effect? - companies like Sony will always get too big and die (even if it takes a while).

Was it my fault for buying a laptop from Sony just when they are in their decline?

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I know how you feel and I am angry that Sony sent an empty box across Europe, what a waste of fuel, and only adds to the issues of global waming, nevermind wasting your time and DHL's.

I think it's time Sony started to be more enviormentally friendly instead of turning this earth into a furnace.

profile.country.GB.title
Mightfly
Explorer

This is the note I have just added to the case history after being told that my Vaio had been repaired and shipped back to me.

What can one say. I opened up the box - only to discover a completely different Vaio inside!

I have spoken to the owner, who was quite surprised as he thought his unit was on the way to Alsace in France - rather than being delivered to a random address 20 miles away.

As to where mine is, I haven't the faintest idea. DHL seems to share Sony's incompetence where IT systems are concerned: being unable to do a simple reverse look-up for a parcel given a name and address.

In fairness, DHL seems to be at fault here. But -to quote them:

"Is it a Sony computer? We have all sort of problems with them".

I don't know whether to laugh or cry - it is all such a shambles.

Maybe I can put this all to good use. With just a little more material, I am sure I can come up with a fine article for one of the major PC publications. At least then I can recoup some money for all the wasted time I have had to spend on this.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Yeah that's one of my fears - someone ending up with my VAIO, not that I have anything to hide but it feels like when you've been burgled.

I hope your VAIO was restored before leaving, then you've got less to loose, but this is important that people keep their data safe.