Join now - be part of our community!

*** KDL-49WE663 Freeview Play problem

profile.country.GB.title
brave01heart
Explorer

*** KDL-49WE663 Freeview Play problem

Hi, we have had this new TV for a couple of weeks and last night I decided to try out the ‘apps’ and, in particular Freeview Play!

I chose Freeview Play and got the message, “Loading ..... please wait”!

After about 60 seconds, this message disappeared and nothing happened!

We also have the 40 inch version of this TV  but same thing happens!

I’ve tried this many times but always get the same outcome!  Other apps I’ve tried actually work so what’s wrong with Freeview Play?

When I launch the “guide” and press backwards, this attempts to launch the Freeview Play app but after the “loading, please wait” message, nothing happens!

We have the latest software version so, what needs to be done to get Freeview Play working?

NOTE;  By the way, we posted the following fault a week or so ago - we still have the “changing channel issue” -  when selecting channels, it takes around 4 seconds to display - this leaves a dark display for around the same time!

I tried “power reset” and, “ factory reset” but, both issues are still present!

11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi @brave01heart and a belated welcome to the Community :slight_smile:

While you wait and see if one of our other members may have a quick fix,

have you tried contacting Support on +44 (0) 2073652810

in the meantime?

profile.country.GB.title
brave01heart
Explorer

Hi there jumpsuit

Thanks for your reply!

Yes, I have contacted Sony Support  and after explaining everything to them, in an effort to relove my issues, they sent me a long list of things to try!  I couldnt believe it!  Apart from the obvious things like 'power reset', full factory restore, they required my IP, public IP, MAC address, internet provide, network speed, try another network and lots more but, there is no way that I'm giving them this sort of personal details!

With reference to the Freeview Play not working, correctly, I've googled this issue and have found that many, many users in the UK and Europe are having this issue so, it baffles me why there are not many more posts regarding this topic!

We have a 40WE663 and 49WE663 models and both TV's are wirelessly connected to our network and, apart from slow guide and 4 second lag delay between pressing the remote control and the picture appearing, the 40 inch does not have any of the issues that the 49WE663 has!  This TV is in our bedroom and is wirelessly connected to our network!  It has no other devices connected to it so, it is soley a Freeview 'digital' TV with aerial signal input and, every button on the remote should work but, try explaining that to Sony Support!

Since sending my original support email to Sony (see boxed area below), over the last 24 hours, I have come across further issues with this TV!

1.  When the “SLEEP” button is pressed, it is unresponsive!  Sometimes It will work but, I first have to turn off power and unplug the TV for around 60 seconds.  When connected again, the 'sleep button', Home button, Options button and guide will work normally,  Freeview Play will work perfectly either by choosing the 'app' from the App tab via remote or, by launching the TV Guide and pressing left using the cursor  'arrows' - Freeeview Play will launch instantly!

But, once the TV is turned off using the remote control, these buttons and Freeview Play will not work again until I remove the TV plug for 60 seconds!  As you can imagine, this can be really frustrating and annoying!  *** See 40WE663 details below!

2.  As above, the “OPTIONS” button (that brings up Scene, picture and sound etc) is randomly unresponsive and shows “feature not available”!

3.  When the “HOME” button is pressed and I choose SETTINGS/SYSTEM SETTINGS and press the + button, there is no response!

4.  The “GUIDE” is slow and often very unresponsive!  I have absolutely no doubt that there are more issues with this TV that I’ve yet to come across so, with the issues previously reported (below) and the additional issues raised in this ‘update’, this is extremely unacceptable!

Current ‘software version’ on the KDL-49WE663 TV is v8.235-1000-1.120-02

*** We also have the KDL-40WE663 (software v8.233) and, apart from the 4 + second delay/lag before the picture appears when changing channels, I have not seen or noticed any of the above issues on this TV!  Note:  This TV has “NO aerial” connected to it so, no digital channels are tuned
in but, Freeview Play is still working on it?

Via Sony Support page:

My query is with regard to FREEVIEW Play! I first started trying to use this app a few days ago; whether I chose the ‘guide’ and pressed the left cursor or, launched Freeview Play from Apps, I got a message saying, “loading, please wait” but, after around 30 seconds, this message disappeared so, Freeview Play did not load! Sometimes it would work for a while and then not work! I’ve googled this issue and found that many customers are having the same problem! I’ve tried ‘power reset’ and ‘factory reset’ and Freeview Play would work then, at next switch on, it wouldn’t! This app needs to work! I’m also having problems changing channel; when I choose a channel by number or, use the remote up/down button, the chosen channel takes around 4 or more seconds to appear during which time I have a black display! Not acceptable!

By the way, unlike the "Android Forum", this "other TV's" forum seems to be very quiet!

Thanks!

profile.country.GB.title
keswick40
Explorer

I have a KDL-43-WE753, with the same problem, Rang Sony , ran through various details ,ip etc.Still no joy, and said they will contact me in 48 hrs , with further imformation, he seemed very helpful in trying to solve the problem. By the way I have further problem in using the channel 5 app. It asks for my password using remote control, but there is no display on screen to enter letters etc.

profile.country.GB.title
brave01heart
Explorer

Hi. I contacted Sony Support and received an email reply with a long list of things to try, ending with them wanting lots of personal details such as up ip and Mac addresses, network supplier, router make etc, etc, etc!   Sony asked me to turn this and that off and this, off on the TV and I did but made no difference!  I then thought that this is a new TV and Freeview Play should just work without having to disable options in settings that are designed to work with the TV features so, I set the TV back to factory settings and then, Freeview Play just started working but still fails now and again and I have to turn the TV off and on again?  It then work for it bit!

My KDL-49WE663 has no other devices connected to it; it’s just Freeview so everything should just work, out of the box!  I paid just £439 for the 49 inch WE663 and, apart from the Freeview Play issue, the guide being a bit slow and a four second delay when changing channel, I like the TV!

I’m still not happy with Freeview Play and I’m considering returning it to buy the 2018 model (KDL-50WF663) which is about £200 more!

By the way, I tried the C5 app (did you mean “Demand 5”?) and that works fine with no password request!

profile.country.GB.title
keswick40
Explorer

thanks for your reply. Yes its my5 app that I cannot use.

profile.country.GB.title
aljosa99
Explorer

Same problem as me, turns out its a slow processor issue which they won't admit to.  But if you ask someone that knows about TV's they will tell you that they upgraded their new TVs to the faster option. 

it's a pity they won't admit the mistake

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey aljosa99, what's the model number of your TV? And what did you try so far?

profile.country.GB.title
aljosa99
Explorer

Hi

i have a KD49XF8096 Bravia 49" Android TV 4K HDR Ultra HD with YouView & Freeview HD. 

I’ve tried all the steps mentioned above. 

many further help would be greatful

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey aljosa99, what's the current software version?