Join now - be part of our community!

Freeview IPTV Services

profile.country.en_GB.title
dethoma2493
New

Freeview IPTV Services

I tried to view the new Freeview IPTV channel on Saturday night,on ch 112.

My TV is a Sony Bravia KDL-40EX403,it was connected to the internet,but was unable to get this service.

This new service,and others to come like it,require that Freeview HD kit is D.Book 6.2,1 compliant,which it would seem.my TV is not.

Will/can Sony offer a software update to bring my television up the standard required to get these new services?  

12 REPLIES 12
jimmy_a
Visitor

These services don't need a browser, they work on D-Book 6.2 compliant devices using MHEG. If the Sony Bravia is D-Book 6.2 compliant it should work. If it doesn't then Sony need to fix it.

dethoma2493
New

That is true Jimmy,it does not need a browser,the internet delivered services that are already on my TV work fine,BBC IPlayer,YouTube,and so on.

Trouble is it's last years model a KDL-40EX403,I can't even find it on the Sony page that list's the latest software,on offer,to check if it's the latest,think it is though,as the TV updates itself when connected to the internet.

My question to Sony is can/will  the KDL-40EX403 be made D Book 6.2 compliant,so it can get these new IPTV services?

I invite Sony to comment.

dethoma2493
New

OK thanks,I rather though that was the case,so a 2010 model,out of date already then :slight_frown:

jimmy_a
Visitor

I am confused as to why it is an architecture problem. surely it is just software. As I understand it, if the device has an internet connection, then the MHEG application is supposed to be able to address it on ALL Freeview HD devices.

If that connection exists, why can the software, that now works correctly on some Sony devices, not be upgraded to on other devices with the same connection capability?

Catmambo
Contributor

Sorry, you're right ,they are MHEG rather than browser based.

I've checked further and it seems this is a 2010 device limitation - the platform changed in 2011 so all current models support these new services as its now mandated as part of the Freeview Trade Mark License. As this is an architecture limitation, it cannot be resolved via firmware and so unfortunately it cannot be implemented on 2010 devices.

Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
chrisbrowe

Shame, I asked about this before and was promised it would work on my 2010 Bravia. This is very annoying and perhaps should be escalated to see if anything can be done.

Surely Sony didn't engineer these sets so as not to use the MHEG layer, and any future flavour of it, that was in the specification or any extension thereof when Freeview HD was launched.

Message was edited by: chrisbrowe

Message was edited by: chrisbrowe

KDL-CX520
Visitor

jimmy_a wrote:

I am confused as to why it is an architecture problem. surely it is just software. As I understand it, if the device has an internet connection, then the MHEG application is supposed to be able to address it on ALL Freeview HD devices.

I think "architecture limitation" does not mean hardware limitation.

Firmware modification is easy 123 , but the problem it is regulated by law, Sony has to get the Rights agreement, License and Registrations to do this for a new service. which will cost money . So how it can be done for an old model (2010) which already out of production ?

When you buy a device, its price include the registration cost

This is my thought

profile.country.GB.title
chrisbrowe

But it's NOT a new service. The concept of MHEG switched internet video WAS in all the initial documentation for the Freeview HD service. The t's might not have been crossed and the i's dotted, but to produce a set that would be incapable of using the technique is careless, lazy and simply wrong.

It's highly likely that as a result these sets will be crippled with the BBC's plans for Olympic coverage too which include significant internet video supplied MHEG switched additional content.

I feel an EM to the Head of Sony UK is due.

Catmambo
Contributor

Hi Chrisbrowe

I do understand your frustration over this one, but there can be a big difference between initial documentation and the final first gen products thats released. Just ask the YouView guys!Final specs for products need to be wrapped up months in advance of the product being released..I'd imagine this is the same for all manufacturers with 2010 Freeview HD products.

Thanks