Join now - be part of our community!

2011 Sony Bravia models do not support AVI (OpenDML) file format

profile.country.en_LT.title
Ignukas
Explorer

2011 Sony Bravia models do not support AVI (OpenDML) file format

It seems currently 2011 Bravia models support MPEG-4 video format natively, but only at SD resolutions. Is there a chance this limitation would be removed anytime soon? This limitation prevents MPEG-4 HD videos from being played from HDD or DLNA. On DLNA transcoding can be used to play these, but then all MPEG-4 videos would be transcoded. And finally - if MPEG-4 is already there, why should we watch poor quality transcoded videos?

13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

It sounds like more of a problem with the file/s and the codecs used.  I have a 2011 TV, and play MPEG4 content in 1080p resolution just fine.

What model 2011 TV have you got?

What actually happens when you play the files?

Try using a program called media info : HERE and look indepth at the codec/s that are used and whether it is supported by the TV

Cheers

Ignukas
Explorer

My TV is KDL-40HX720.

I've checked several problematic files on MediaInfo - all of them are MPEG-4 Visual (XviD) encoded AVIs (OpenMDL). When I try to play those TV displays "Playback not available" message.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

According to the manual : HERE

"

USB playback of the following video file formats is available:

- AVCHD (files with the extension “.mts” or “.m2ts”)
- MP4 (AVC) (files with the extension “.mp4”)
- MP4 (MPEG4) (files with the extension “.mp4”)
- MPEG1 (files with the extension “.mpg”)
- MPEG2 (files with the extension “.mpg”)
- DivX (files with the extension “.divx” or “.avi”)
- WMV (files with the extension “.wmv” or “.asf”)"

There is no mention of using the Xvid HD codec.  Therefore you will need to convert those problem avi files to a codec that the TV supports natively.

Cheers

Ignukas
Explorer

Hi, I'd like to agree with you. But I've got other "MPEG-4 Visual (XviD)" encoded videos and those are playing fine. The only difference I noticed is the file format: the other video files I'm able to play are shown as "AVI" while those TV can't play are "AVI (OpenDML)".

So I think I was wrong thinking it's HD related issue. However this makes sense as traditional AVI is limited to 2 GB file size. While OpenDML AVI supports greater file sizes. This explains why HD AVI files cannot be played on TV while most SD AVI files can.

Ignukas
Explorer

So, is there any chance Sony would add full AVI (including OpenDML) support to older Bravia TVs? What about newer TVs? Do they support OpenDML AVIs?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ignukas wrote:

So, is there any chance Sony would add full AVI (including OpenDML) support to older Bravia TVs?

I think it is pretty safe to say that Sony will not be adding OpenDML support to older Bravia TV's, probably due to 2 reasons.  First one is that after a year or 2, Sony do not develop new features to the TVs, and the only firmware updates are minor bugfixes.  A second reason is that it would consume more processing that the older TV's cannot handle.

@Ignukas wrote:

What about newer TVs? Do they support OpenDML AVIs?

Again, if its not in the specifications, unfortunately its probably not supported.

I had the same types of issues a while ago, file codecs and containers not supported.  You must remind yourself that its a TV and not a computer (thats what I did anyhow, as it makes it easier for me).  In the end, I purchased a Network Media Player which resolved all my issues.  You might want to investigate the same.

Cheers

Ignukas
Explorer

Quinnicus, I absolutely understand your points, but cannot agree they are sufficient.

First of all adding file format doesn't require neither much space on ROM (which might be an issue on older TVs when implementing new features) nor additional processing power as it's not a codec, but a file structure format.

Secondly OpenDML is still AVI - just a newer version of it (17 years old in fact), so I would consider this a bug: TV specs say it must support AVI format, which I read as "all official versions of AVI available on release date".

And finally less than two years have passed since I bought my HX series Bravia TV. It was quite pricey and I would expect appropriate customer care level.

I've got a DLNA server to play my media. But I must switch between different profiles in order to play AVI files on the TV as my DLNA server considers AVI and OpenDML AVI as the same (and I agree with this): when playing original AVI files I use 2011 Bravia profile as it would stream the file without transcoding; and I must switch to 2010 Bravia profile to transcode OpenDML AVI files.

Regards

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ignukas wrote:

Quinnicus, I absolutely understand your points, but cannot agree they are sufficient.

Hi there, I think the points I posted are valid, but I probably missed off one.  And I would guess its the most important - Economics!  At this moment in time, only 1 person is having an issue (that Sony are aware of), thats you by the way :slight_smile:  It probably comes to the Cost vs Benefits issue.  However if there are loads of people that have this issue Sony might probably give it further consideration.  The cost to implement this is not just a quick firmware update, its development, testing, and various other costs to implement. 

@Ignukas wrote:

I've got a DLNA server to play my media. But I must switch between different profiles in order to play AVI files on the TV as my DLNA server considers AVI and OpenDML AVI as the same (and I agree with this): when playing original AVI files I use 2011 Bravia profile as it would stream the file without transcoding; and I must switch to 2010 Bravia profile to transcode OpenDML AVI files.

Can I assume that you are using Serviio as your DLNA Server Software?  If so, you can edit the profiles.xml file to make changes to the code to implement the same transcoding abilities on files from one profile to the other, or add other transcoding abilities.  It can take a little trial and error to figure it out (so backup that file first)

To be honest, I dont know the implications of OpenDML, but my theory is : There is more than one way to skin a cat.  Meaning if one way doesnt work, try another.  Or start a campaign and to gain enough supporters.

Hope that helps anyway.

profile.country.da_DK.title
Nielsen

I think SONY's policy on media playback is clear and has been for some time now. Any "bugs" on codec and file format natively in TV's are covered by the Homestream DLNA server solution. Your profile bug just needs fixing.

I was and is specially annoyed by the jpeg subsamling bug, which still makes the Picasa app. useless.:smileyd_oh: