Join now - be part of our community!

Why do people use Sony Play Memories to convert their 'XAVC-S 4K' files ?

profile.country.GB.title
Northern_Lights

Why do people use Sony Play Memories to convert their 'XAVC-S 4K' files ?

I'm new to trying to edit my video footage.  Does Sony Play Memories degrade the file when converting from  XAVC-S 4K  into MP4 ??   I have seen that some people open their files straight into Premier or another video editor.

I have found Sony Play Memories is a slow conversion process as well.  Maybe that is a problem ?

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Northern_Lights, 

We have asked the relevant department for advice and as soon as we get a reply we shall update this thread. 

Best, 

Arthur

profile.country.GB.title
Northern_Lights

Thanks for the reply Arthur.

David

profile.country.GB.title
Jonnie1266
Contributor

Hi @Northern_Lights

Editing options, although limited, are available within PlayMemories Home without converting the XAVC-S 4K to MP4.

Conversion and 'degrading' is necessary when one wants to burn the footage to Blu-ray disc. The converted footage is smaller in size in order to fit onto a standard disc. Yes, unfortunately it does take a long time to convert. The original XVAC-S 4K file is unaffected and remains stored on the PC for the future.

Just for assurance I regularly use this function, although not as good as raw 4K the converted file on Blu-ray disc when played back is of great quality with a high Mbps (bit rate)

The solution ? Ultra Blu-ray blank media and a writer for PC's available, no need for conversion :wink: 

Hope this helps

Regards

If it ain't broke don't fix it
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hi @Northern_Lights,

the only reason I would see to convert the files is missing compatibility with the editing software one is using. Aside from that there is no point to convert it.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
Northern_Lights

Thanks 'Johnnie' and 'IamNic'  for the replies.   I am wanting the maximum sharpness to still be there after converting it from XAVC-S 4K  into a more usable file type,  which I presume I would need if I upload my videos to YouTube  ??  

That is my aim, to put them on to YouTube.  

profile.country.GB.title
Jonnie1266
Contributor

You are welcome @Northern_Lights

Sorry I cannot help with uploading to YouTube

Regards

If it ain't broke don't fix it