Join now - be part of our community!

USB formatted as internal storage keeps disappearing

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

USB formatted as internal storage keeps disappearing

So, apart from not being able to write on disk which is not formated as internal, even the one that is formatted as such is unusable becuse it keeps disappering from the system.

And the only way to get it back is restart.

It happend a few times already and it seems that it is related to standby time.

EDIT: So, this happens only in REC port on my 50W75C. Solution is to use any other port.

82 REPLIES 82
profile.country.GB.title
Steventv
Explorer

Hi I'm still having issues with when you install a drive as internal storage. Every night it ejectes the drive and after a few nights corrupts the drive to the point of no return. Is there any update on a fix or workaround for this?

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Still nothing. USB storage has been broken for more than one and a half years(!!!) since the release of the Marshmallow FW. You can find my Sony ATV bug tracker filtered for USB bugs here.

profile.country.GB.title
SnAkEs1210

We all need to keep hassling sony. Send emails of complaint to their customer support and hopefully they will eventually take us seriously and fix the issue. 

profile.country.GB.title
SnAkEs1210

Good evening everyone

I have been on the Philips support site and I found that the Philips android TVs also seem to be suffering with the same problem

Karlo1 said:
Angry Android TV usb apps problem
I have Philips TV 48PFS8109 v.AND1E.010126.0. Because small memory I have external usb disk with some apps (Kodi,…). Sometimes (I don’t know why) startup cannot read application on my external disk and I cannot run those applications later. In “android settings”, “manage apps” I cannot see usb apps. In “storage” I see my usb storage but everything is grey (apps,..) and when I trying unmount and mount external disk everything is the same. Do you have any suggestion how to run my app whose didn’t run on startup

Perhaps the problem is with Google android. I have emailed them and am waiting to hear back 

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Yeah. Philips build on the same crappy MediaTek SoC. It is the MediaTek USB driver that fails.

profile.country.GB.title
SnAkEs1210

Do the sharp android TVs have the same problem?

I might return my TV for a refund, this is getting ridiculous now, this will be the 3rd TV I have sent back due to this issue. 2 2016 models and now my 2017 model

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Sharp is also MediaTek. It is pretty much the only SoC for Android TV based TVs.

Forget about Android TV anyway. It is a crappy OS with very little support. Might go down the same road as Google TV did.

profile.country.GB.title
SnAkEs1210

How many people here use ES file manager?

Apparently this can cause problems with external hard drives. 

I have uninstalled it and so far my drive hasn't unmounted, but it is early days

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Not using it at all.

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

@SnAkEs1210 wrote:

How many people here use ES file manager?

Apparently this can cause problems with external hard drives. 

I have uninstalled it and so far my drive hasn't unmounted, but it is early days

I do. But very old pro version since before they sold it and turned it to utter bloatfest.

And this is still happening even without any file manager. And there was zero issues with USB drives prior to MM. Sure, extended storage was not possible but at least everything else was possible. And reliable.