Join now - be part of our community!

TV For Sale

profile.country.GB.title
Fab3rge

TV For Sale

I’ve had enough of Sony TVs. Sony don’t respond to requests for support and this thing is driving me insane.

Any takers? 😅 I paid £1200+ for my 49” KD - 49XE9005 and it’s hardly used (because the fkn thing turns itself off every few days). 

£200? I’m going to buy a LG 

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Fab3rge 

You can practically get a working one for that on eBay. Probably can get one, if you hit the right auction,

Have a look on there to see what would be a more realistic price for your broken one.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2322090.m570.l2632&_nkw=sony+kd+49+xe9005&_saca...

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
Fab3rge

I wouldn’t really try and sell a broken tv - I was just being facetious. Trying (and failing) to get someone’s attention at Sony to pull their finger out and fix my TV. Spent a bloody fortune on this at the time, I got a good one (“buy cheap buy twice”) but it’s been torture for me for the past few years. Constantly shutting down at random times, sometimes on an endless loop. 

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi @Fab3rge 

Just to let you know that nobody from Sony works here.

We're all just members that try and help each other if we can 😉

profile.country.GB.title
daveyh64
Enthusiast

When did you buy this TV, how old is it.

Where did you buy it, what length of warranty did you get.

Some retailers offer multi year warranties.

When your TV started playing up you should have contacted the retailer that sold you the TV if it was still under warranty.

If it is out of warranty the retailer or Sony have no obligation to do anything.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Fab3rge 

I thought you might be being facetious, but if you look on eBay, people are selling broken ones. Probably for parts, as Sony don’t have spares available for as long as perhaps they should.

@daveyh64 

The Consumer Rights Act 2015 gives retailers a continuing obligation for the goods they sell. Not as easy to get redress as it is under a guarantee or warranty, and reducing over time as the goods age according to their accepted lifespan, but nevertheless there.

See this thread for an example:-

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/home-cinema-projectors-players/ht-st5000-parts-unavailable/m-p/39209...

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
Piscie
Community Team

Hi @Fab3rge, why don't you share the details of the problem you're experiencing with the TV here? Is it rebooting randomly? What software version is it running? Have you tried any troubleshooting steps?

profile.country.GB.title
Fab3rge

Hi all,

I found a compromise! (I think)

My TV is not fixed, but for now I have worked out how to stop it resetting. And saved me from going totally crazy.

Turns out that despite being advertised as capable, my Sony KD-49XE9005 cannot process HDR without freaking out and resetting. I tweaked my Apple TV/ PS4 Pro settings to display only 4K SDR and (for an hour anyway) no tantrums (from the TV and from me!)

It is a big disappointment as this is one of the reasons I chose this TV over the cheaper alternatives at the time.

The display is decent when playing non-HDR content (older movies/ TV shows/ animation) but HDR makes a massive difference when playing computer games and watching modern action movies (with SFX), 

What really cheeses me off is the TV accepts the higher (HDR) settings when you ask for best possible resolution - and then it crashes! You can't adjust the settings back as the TV just keeps rebooting!! It is maddening!

Why do Sony not just put a limiter on the TV software to disable the option for HDR content? 

I do not think I am completely out of the woods yet as the TV has crashed at random times without a HDMI cable attached in the past (including during a factory reset, when there really should not be anything really triggering a reaction). Also, the resolution on the wallpapers is 1000% times better than anything the TV displays when watching a show. So yeah, I do think there is still something seriously else up with this thing and I would not be surprised if it crashes again tonight. 

I will still be looking for a new TV, and I will be looking for an alternative brand as Sony Support do not help at all.

profile.country.GB.title
Fab3rge

AHHHHHHH!!! Noooooooooo Fffffffffffff 😵

Spoke too soon. TV is crashing again - the DREADED Android Loop is back!! 😭 

Resolution makes little difference. My Sony TV is incompatible with my Sony PlayStation 😂 

Gotta love that irony 😂🙈 

I got email 76 (there's been a lot of emails) from Sony Support today - I actually believe they are all just bots as they show zero compassion and all the charm of an internet troll. 

Told SS my TV is faulty and everything I have done so far to try and fix it. 

Sony Support typical reply: "here's how you reset your TV" 😩 Do they even READ my emails? 🤔

If SONY is an acronym, the S must stand for Stress-Inducing.

This time, after asking them for a repair quote, SS have sent me a web link (another f'n web link!!) to the Sony repair centres - which btw are nowhere near me.

It's going to cost me more cash getting the TV there/ back (not sure how one takes a 49" TV many km away? on a train?) and then extra to repair it, than to just sell this off cheap and buy a decent replacement TV (which can handle HDR).