Join now - be part of our community!

Some thoughts after Android 6 update - KD-65XD9305

profile.country.GB.title
chrisc383

Some thoughts after Android 6 update - KD-65XD9305

Like many people, I did the update about 12 hours after it was released.

In my case, I did update via USB drive. The file copied fine, but after that TV went completely dark. I waited for about an hour, didn't know what to do so I removed the power, powered again, nothing. Then I decided to remove the pendrive, after powering on yet agin, the update started. From that point it went pretty normally, even the pendrive wasn't plugged in. One possible reason which I can think of, is that the pendrive was failry old kingston, usb 3.0, which I know is quite power hungry.

Right after the update, TV was working incredibly slowly, maybe still doing some housekeeping.

Some observations maybe ~24 hours after the update:

- tv lost pairing with the remote (voice), easy to fix once someone posted the fix,

- some people reported faster reactions and smoother feeling, but for me it's fairly the same

- GUI changes are really cosmetic

- today afternoon, right after powering on, tv restarted on its own, with no error or anything

- volume control via HDMI CEC to my Denon X2300 is not working properly, it is very slow and jumps up then down again. Was working fine before.

- streaming from Amazon Video in 4k (Grand Tour) is not working as it should. There is some jitter in the video and audio drops every few minutes for fractions of second.

- it still can't play properly GoPro videos recorded in 1080p, 60p, over the network, it's buffering every few seconds. 4K videos from GoPro are unwatchable.

- even if Android 6 supports DTS passthrough, apparently included Mediatek drivers are not. Can't play any DTS via Plex or Kodi v17.

Obviously it's very good Sony finally managed to put together a firmware based on Android 6, but some details could have been better.

What are your thoughts on the update - and results?

1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

For my TV - KD-55XD8577 - the first attempt failed to install via USB, even though it supposidly installed correctly, but after booting the TV up again after supposidly updating, the firmware did not update.  Tried redoing it again, but would not detect USB drive.  Re-downloaded file again and used different USB drive worked the second time around.

Like you, I found that my TVs performance was like a dead dog.  Slow as hell.  A factory reset later, all was OK (which I was going to do anyhow).

EPG is way faster than before.  Had no time to test anything else (yet!)