Join now - be part of our community!

DOLBY ATMOS SUPPORT

profile.country.GB.title
stewartgordon4

DOLBY ATMOS SUPPORT

I HAVE A KD65 XF9005 I GOT IN TOUCH WITH SONY SUPPORT TO ASK THEM WHY THERE IS ONLY SUPPORT FOR DOLBY ATMOS ON NETFIX AND NOT THE OTHER APPS LIKE AMAZON AND DISNEY PLUS THEY COLD NOT GIVE ME A ANSWER DOES ANY ONE HAVE A ANSWER BECAUSE CUSTOMER SUPORT ARE A WASTE OF SPACE

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

Atmos on your TV's with what other device?

HT? Soundbar?

Don't write in CAPS...

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

Atmos or no depends on streaming service, SONY has nothing to do with it.

Tags (1)
profile.country.GB.title
stewartgordon4

I HAVE A 7.1.2 SYSTEM WITH A ATNTHEM MRX720 RECEIVER 
profile.country.GB.title
stewartgordon4

i have a 7.1.2 system with a anthem mrx 720 receveir

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

@kinggo01  schrieb:

Atmos or no depends on streaming service, SONY has nothing to do with it.

Not exactly true.

Atmos is officially supported as off Android 9.0 Pie via the added ENCODING_E_AC3_JOC API. I assume Netflix to use some private Sony API for the Android TV 8.0 based BRAVIAs (like the XF90 for example). Kodi can make use of the ENCODING_E_AC3 API for DD+ based Atmos which works for all ATV2 models, probably even ATV1. However, compatibility issues may arise with this approach when trying to send DD+ Atmos to a DD+ only receiver despite DD+ Atmos being backwards compatible to DD+.

I assume Prime Video and others to only support the official ENCODING_E_AC3_JOC API which Sony could backport to Android TV 8.0 as I do not believe that ATV2 based TVs will see an update to Pie. Or Atmos support will stay limited to Netflix only which is probably the most likely scenario.

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

man, they all made such a mess with all this...... trillion transcodings in the process of getting sound from speakers. No wonder that half of the stuff will be always broken. And all that so they could market something which is not what it should be anyway. That "atmos" does not sound any better than 5.1 upmix that my AVR does. And on soundbars...... does it really matter at all is it "atmos" or not?

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Here is my philosophy...

I do have a pretty decent 2.1 system (which costs more than those cheap Atmos soundbars) in the form of a stereo soundbar and a subwoofer (obviously). I honestly don't mind where the sound is coming from. It irritates me anyway since the picture is also in front of me. It is like with Dolby Surround in the beginning. They put in all kinds of effects but it got less and less over time. What I do care about is a good dynamic range with decent low frequency representation. I am therefore perfectly fine with good old Dolby/DTS 5.1 for which the LFE channel is preserved. Easy setup and works always... at least by now. It took Sony years to stabilize the standard multi-channel audio formats on their Android TV sets...

As for "HD" audio, it is pure marketing BS. 16-bit 48kHz is perfectly enough for transportation to the end user. Only for production/post-production is it helpful to have some more bits. Good thing about "HD" audio is that those formats either have backwards compatible cores or can be transcoded/downmixed to some lossy Dolby/DTS compatible format.

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

agree......

Unless all you do are demos, you will rarely hear all that buzz in actual movie. Cinemas with a gazillion of speakers are different, probably home setups with x.x.x also but I have 5.1.2 and can't say that it makes much difference than 5.1 I had before. Most of the sound comes from fronts, that's how it is mixed. Some action scenes or horror movies have a bit more effects but ultimately a lot of things are needed and need to be done right to make a real difference. Slapping a bunch of speakers or a support sticker on a product does not make a difference.