Join now - be part of our community!

Connecting satellite cables to Sony Bravia OLED tv

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
rmd1964
Explorer

Connecting satellite cables to Sony Bravia OLED tv

Hi,

I have recently tried connecting the cables from my satellite dish directly to my Sony Bravia OLED tv (exact model no. 65a84j) to try and set up Freesat.  When tuning in the channels the signal strength and quality are 100 and it seems to find approximately 180 channels but when I try to watch them it says ‘no signal’.

We had SkyQ and I know that the LNB is not compatible with older equipment but I’m sure I’d read that newer tv’s could handle the SkyQ LNB signal.  Please could someone confirm whether my model of tv is new enough to handle this LNB?  

If it isn’t I know that I will either have to get the LNB changed or buy a 4k Freesat box.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
graygerman

SKY Q LNB will NOT work on the tv bud, if its freesat you have which most are, you need to change LNB to a standard Freesat compatible LNB, i have a link for a really good example which is a quad LNB from screwfix.

Doesnt matter what complicated solutions people post, simple truth is, SKY Q lng is wideband and wont work at standard Freesat 28.2degE.

Here is LNB, 2 minutes to fit.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/visiblewave-4-output-universal-quad-lnb/734gv

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Piscie
Community Team

Hey! According to the TV manual, when No signal. LNB overload detected message appears, you can turn the TV off and unplug the power cable. Then, ensure the satellite cable is not damaged and the satellite signal line is not short-circuited in the satellite connector and try the tuning again.

profile.country.GB.title
rmd1964
Explorer

Hi Piscie,  Thanks for replying but that isn’t the issue.  I did look at other solutions before posting but they didn’t help.  I am after a reply to the specific question about compatibility with a SkyQ LNB.  I have also approached Sony Support but they have been no help.  All they’ll say is that they don’t guarantee that their tvs will work with all LNBs but they won’t say whether or not my model of tv should work with that type of LNB.  I think someone in their technical support will know the answer to that but rather than pass my query onto 2nd or 3rd line, as I requested, they just repeat the same message about not guaranteeing it.  I have decided just to get a universal LNB installed and will keep my fingers crossed that that works.

profile.country.GB.title
bradleyh10
New

Did you ever find out the answer?

I'm thinking of doing the same myself 

profile.country.GB.title
graygerman

SKY Q LNB will NOT work on the tv bud, if its freesat you have which most are, you need to change LNB to a standard Freesat compatible LNB, i have a link for a really good example which is a quad LNB from screwfix.

Doesnt matter what complicated solutions people post, simple truth is, SKY Q lng is wideband and wont work at standard Freesat 28.2degE.

Here is LNB, 2 minutes to fit.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/visiblewave-4-output-universal-quad-lnb/734gv

profile.country.GB.title
rmd1964
Explorer

Hi, Thanks for the advice.  I actually did get a universal LNB fitted and it worked fine.

profile.country.GB.title
rmd1964
Explorer

I had to get a universal LNB fitted and it worked fine after that.